Outlook/Outlook Express - Hotmail question?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pfunk_40

During the course of my own research for this question, I have encounter mixed answers, so I now turn to you for some help.

I am trying to configure my hotmail account to work with Outlook Express... and it is not working. I have come across MANY answers on the web. Some say that MSN/Hotmail doesn't support hotmail being used with outlook anymore, while others say that theirs is configured and works fine via outlook. Some have tried to use POP3 settings with some success even though hotmail clearly runs on an HTTP server. Some say that it stoped working around 2002 only on new accounts, while others say they think they are still able to use OE because they were grandfathered in. Whatever the case may be... I cannot get my hotmail account to configure properly with Outlook or OE. Does anyone here know a way around that? Or are you aware of any programs that I could use to set it up?...for example, I found a program that is supposed to do exactly that for Yahoo! e-mail accounts called YPOP or YPOP3. Anyone know anything about that. Or, can anyone suggest another e-mail client like pegasus, eudora, mozilla, thunderbird,...or any other one that I can use with my hotmail account. Or does anyone know if any of them, or OE work with Yahoo!, GMail, or can you suggest another free one that I can use???
I don't want to "upgrade" to a pay e-mail service just to use Outlook.

I can clear up Hotmail-outlook confusion.

Simply. You can only use outlook with hotmail if you are a subscriber and are paying for it. It dosnt work with the free hotmail accounts.

DoubleHelix

Banned
It does work with free accounts if they were created before a certain point in time, although I don't know what the exact date is. That's what the "grandfather" clause means.

If you're trying to add a relatively newly created free account, it definitely will not work with Outlook or Outlook express. There's no way around it.

pfunk_40

not that i don't believe you, it's just that other have found a way around that as i am trying to figure out the same. i believe it was right around 2002... my hotmail account is way older than that. so it's not a new account, maybe it won't work because i didn't have it configured to outlook before that.???

any other e-mail clients that i can use with a free account?

DoubleHelix

Banned
Given the number of people with free Hotmail accounts, if there were actually a way or a client to set it up, it would be very widely publicized.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online