1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Password

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jellygumbo, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jellygumbo

jellygumbo Thread Starter

I am using XP Pro and Office XP Pro, with Outlook as my email program. Lately, outllook has been asking me for my password. The password is there, and when I click ok, it checks for new mail. I read somewhere there is a key that can be cleared that kind of flushes the memory but I can't remember where I saw that. Any help?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    "flushes the memory"

What exactly is your question?

3. jellygumbo

I want to know why it keeps prompting me for my password. In the account settings, I have it checked to save password, and it is saved, because when the dialogue box comes up with the account name and password option, both user name and password boxes are filled. I click ok, then it retrieves mail. It just started doing this about 2 weeks ago, and there is nothing I can tie it to. I read somewhere there is a registry setting that can be cleared that will fix this, but I cannot remember where I read that. Just hoping someone here had heard of this....
    I hope I explained it better this time :)

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    When are you asked for a password? On startup of Outlook or when you click on a folder?

5. jellygumbo

I am asked for the password when it is querying the pop3 server, or in other words, when it is checking for new mail.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  7. jellygumbo

That wasnt it, but thank you.

8. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Every time you open Outlook Express or Outlook you are asked to reenter your password even though the Save Password box is checked. Generally this is caused by a problem in the Registry with the Protected Storage System Provider key. Follow the steps below to fix this problem:

1) Back Up The Registry

Just to be safe you should back up this registry key before making modifications.

Click Start, Run, and type regedit in the box, and then click OK
    In the left panel, click the pluses next to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Software
    Microsoft
    Right click on Protected Storage System Provider and select Export
    In the File name box, type a unique name for the key
    In the Save In box, click a location for the file to be saved (I would recommend the Desktop)
    Click Save
    2) Change the Permissions

Still in the Registry, Right click on Protected Storage System Provider and select Permissions
    Click the user name for the user that is currently logged on and ensure that Read and Full Control permissions are both set to Allow
    Click on the Advanced button, and select the Permissions tab
    Highlight the currently logged on user, and make sure that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply To column
    Place a check mark in the box for "Replace Permission Entries on all Child Objects with Entries Shown Here that Apply to Child Objects"
    Click Apply
    A box will appear asking if you are sure you want to do this, click Yes
    Click Ok and then Click Ok again to return to the Registry Editor
    3) Delete the Key

Click the plus sign next to Protected Storage System Provider key
    Right click the user sub-key folder that will look similar to:

S-1-5-21-3723271197-429115175-1203367206-1003

Click Delete and then click Yes in the Confirm Key Delete dialog box that appears
    Each identity may have a sub-key under the Protected Storage System Provider key. Delete all of the user sub-key folders under the Protected Storage System Provider key using the same method
    Close the Registry and Reboot the Computer
    4) Reenter Password in Outlook Express or Outlook

Open Outlook Express or Outlook
    When you are prompted to Enter password, go ahead and retype it and make sure the Save Password box is checked
    This should complete the steps for fixing the problem of the password not being saved in Outlook Express or Outlook.

Source (http://www.pchell.com/support/oepassword.shtml)

Rollin

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice