1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook personal folders can not be closed

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sidelong, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sidelong

sidelong Thread Starter

When I right click on the personal folders file, and then click on Close "Personal folder", I get an error message - "The operation failed. An object could not be found". Running "outlook.exe /cleanviews" makes no difference. How can I get rid of these personal folders? I am running the corporate version of Outlook 2000 with Windows XP Professional SP2.

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi sidelong

In Microsoft Outlook,
    Tools > Services
    Select the Personal Folders in the Services window and Remove it there.

Let us know if that works or not.

3. sidelong

sidelong Thread Starter

Yes I have tried that. This personal folder does not appear in the services window.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296192

Try the
    /safe
    command when starting Outlook.

Or you may need to create a new profile, is this personal folder part of the same .pst file you are currently using or a completely separate .pst file?

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I've seen this when the profile gets corrupted. To solve it I remove the profile and recreate it again.

6. sidelong

sidelong Thread Starter

It seems that this is the only option if corporate or workgroup is being used. A pity because these profiles are used if you need more than one email account, and therefore take the longest time to set up again. Anyway this is what I have done, and all is now back to normal.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Why exactly is that a pity. You have a more control and options if you use that configuration.

8. sidelong

sidelong Thread Starter

I agree that this configuration gives more control and options. The pity is that there is not an easier way of recovering from corrupted personal folders. The fact that there are more options means that having to start again with a new profile is a lengthy procedure, and it just seems clumsy to have to do this.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

An easy way to avoid any lengthy process is to document the settings the first time you do this.

What I like to do is create a simple text file with notepad as I'm entering all the e-mail information. I keep this typically in the same directory as the e-mail PST file is located so I don't need to search for either one.

Then should you need to redo it as in this case, you just copy and paste back in again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/347328

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice