1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Personal Folders problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Homehelper, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Homehelper

Homehelper Thread Starter

I have just spent the weekend getting my new HP computer set up, including adding Outlook 2003. I copied over from my old PC (just before the power supply burned up), most of my Outlook 2000 personal folders, one of them was called Saved. I imported them into 2003 Outlook, then deleted the Saved folder. Now when I launch Outlook, I get a message: Personal Folders The path specified in the file \\Homehelper\sharedocs\Saved.pst is not valid. Any Hints?

2. rude

rude

Go to Search and type: Saved.pst
    If Search finds the Saved.pst file you can then right click on it and select Open Containing Folder.The Address bar will show you the path to the folder.You may have to go to Folder Options/View and select "Show hidden files and folders" first

3. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

Homehelper,

When you imported, did you point Outlook at the file using the import/export tool? If so, all you did was tell Outlook where to find the file, then delete it..

If you still have Saved.pst on your computer (found as per the instructions from Rude) then copy it into your C:\Documents and Settings\**YOUR NAME**\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook folder. Outlook looks here for .pst files by default. If if doesn't find it when you restart, tell it to look here (assuming you have found saved.pst on your system).

One question though - outlook calls the default .pst "Outlook.pst" - where is this file as it will be the one that contains your emails and contacts..

Regards,

4. aarti71

aarti71

Hi!

As i understand, you had copied the personal folder from the old computer onto a CD. And then back from CD to the new computer.

Now, when you copy any file from a CD to your computer, it is stored as a "read-only" file. Hence it will not allow you to access the personal folder through Outlook.

Simple solution to this... Go to the location of saved.pst file, right click and select properties. Uncheck the "read-only" option.

reopen Outlook. And the personal folder should be accessible to you.

Good luck! :)

5. Funkmeister

Funkmeister

aarti71,

If you look at the path that Outlook is looking for it is in the shareddocs:

"Personal Folders The path specified in the file \\Homehelper\sharedocs\Saved.pst is not valid"

meaning the files were copied over network connection. When Homehelper ran the import .pst file, Outlook 2003 was pointed at the file in the shareddocs folder. Thinking that the file was now 'safely' in the outlook folder somewhere, Homehelper then deleted the file in the shareddocs which is why it can't find the file.

My concern is that if you copied the correct .pst file from the original machine, it would be "outlook.pst" and saved in the default path:

"C:\Documents and Settings\**YOUR NAME**\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst"

IF the saved.pst is the right file (and I'm not convinced it is) and Homehelper can retrieve another copy of it (off the old HDD for example) then that file should be copied into the folder given above and that will then be the default .pst file that associates whenever Outlook is opened.

Unfortunately it's gonna be a little more awkward to resolve than you think as homehelper needs to find the original outlook.pst file..

Best regards,

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/246870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice