Outlook problem : Mail all gets downloaded onto 1 computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tomai

Hello~

I have an email account from work (from exchange server) and I work from home and from work back and forth every so often. The problem i have is that when i work from home, the mail gets downloaded onto my home computer so that when i get to work...all my mail is gone! I want to keep the mail so that i can view it while i am at home and i can view it from work when i come into work as well!

I use outlook 2000 at work at outlook 2003 at home...are the settings off somewhere?

Thank you!!

cybertech

Retired Moderator
Hi Tomai, Welcome to TSG!!

At home go to Control Panel, Mail, e-mail accounts, view or change existing e-mail accounts, next.
Look in "Deliver new e-mail to the following location" make sure that says Mailbox and not a personal folder.

If you are at home you cannot get Exchange to deleiver to a mailbox unless you are on the same physical network. Do they have Outlook Web Access available for use? Most orgs running exchange also have OWA set up for remote users.

Tomai

Thank you! :) Glad to join this community!

We dont have OWA unfortunately but i do connect via VPN so does it count as being on the network still? On someones laptop it was setup fine, it didnt have a problem with downloading all the mail onto the laptop but the difference is that he was using outlook 2000 and for some odd reason i could pick "none" when picking where to deliver the mail. I use 2003 and it doesn't let me pick it, just personal folder i think...ill double check when i get home :)

I thought i could get both my pop mail and the exchange mail on one profile but it would download all the mail into 1 box :S so it caused a lot of mix up and stuff :) so now i got them on seperate profiles!

If you are connected via VPN you are on the same network. Just set up an Exchange mailbox in Outlook instead of a POP mailbox. Once you set up the Exchange account you can point it to open to the exchange mailbox like mentioned earlier.

Tomai

Yay! I think it works!! You guys are the best! :)

I guess its not possible to put both my personal mail (which is on pop) and my work mail (on exchange) onto 1 profile but received items go into the correct boxes?

I tried putting it on together once and under the 'deliver mail to' section it only lets me pick either mailbox or personal doesnt let me pick which mail goes into which box (ideally it would have been pop in pop and exchange in exchange) so what happened was, when i hit send/receive button everything got downloaded into 1 box. Maybe i can set rules for my pop account :)

You could set up a rule to deliver all of your internet addressed email to go to a specific folder.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online