1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook problems

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Cowboy622, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Cowboy622

Cowboy622 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 12279 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 596 GB (396 GB Free); F: 931 GB (0 GB Free); J: 4657 GB (3799 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., Rampage III Formula
    Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

My Outlook stopped functioning. I have two email addresses. One formal and one informal. The formal address was not sending or receiving and blocked the informal address from doing the same. I deleted the formal account and the informal one worked. I called my internet provider and they changed the email from a Pop3 to an IMAP account. Now where I used o have an inbox, sent folder, out folder Junk email folder, now I still have them BUT I have a separate one for each email address. My formal address has an inbox, sent folder, Junk folder and draft folder. So does the informal address. Now when I delete an email from my inbox, instead of it being removed from the inbox and placed in the deleted folder, a line is drawn through it but it remains in the inbox. My inbox states there are over 300 emails in the box but they all have lines through them. I have tried to remove them and if I send each email to another folder, it just copies the email and leaves it in the inbox too. How do I removed the deleted emails from the inbox (that already have a line through them.) I can empty the junk folder, and trash folder but even if I put the emails into those folder and empty them, a copy stays in the inbox. Any help straightening out my Outlook would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Cowboy622

Cowboy622 Thread Starter

After several calls with my service provider, some how they got it working. Unfortunately, they were unable to tell me what was wrong other than to call it a glitch in Outlook. He purged the deleted emails which I couldn't get rid of and now they disappear the moment I delete them so all is well. Sorry I couldn't explain how they fixed it to help any others who might be having trouble.

3. Chawbacon

Chawbacon

First Name:
    Jack
    Hey there Cowboy622,

On an IMAP server your deleted e-mails remain on the server until you issue a "purge command" by selecting the folder in question, then from the menu bar select "Edit" - "Purge" - and select your desired purge activity. OR from the same Edit menu you can choose "Purge Options" - "General Tab" - and enabling the check box to purge items when switching between folders, which will automatically purge deleted items.

Oh, those messages may still be there despite what your ISP told you. You can check by selecting "View" (on the Ribbon) - "Change View" - "Hide Messages Marked for Deletion" - "Apply" ;)

Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice