1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook PST 2007 Contacts Gone

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Parev, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Parev

Parev Thread Starter

I have saved the old PC's Outlook 2007 pst file.when i tried to replace on the new pc everything seemed ok until when i went to my contacts list it was not there.the regular contact folder was there but not my other contact list.

how can i get that info from outlook.pst file?

thank you

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. Parev

Parev Thread Starter

thanks,my problem is i can see my Contact list but i can not see my other custom list which is called "techcontact"

4. Bradybunch

Bradybunch

Im guessing you know where your .pst file is? in Outlook 2007
    In your new outlook profile, if you go to File/open/select .pst - browse to your .pst file, and select okay.

It will then install it as a personal Folder.

You can then copy and paste the contacts out of your old into your new. Using the Ctrl C and Ctrl v options, as i dont think there is a paste option in the sub menu.

5. Bradybunch

Bradybunch

Also did you actually put your contacts into a .pst or just your mail?

6. Parev

Parev Thread Starter

well i have just replaced pst file with the new one(backup) (copy/paste) that has all my information.

first just created a dummy account,once the new pst file was there i replaced with the new one (backup)

7. Bradybunch

Bradybunch

How are you importing your .pst file? You should end up with a second mailbox with in outlook called personal folders

8. Parev

Parev Thread Starter

wow it worked,i just opened the file from menu as you have told me.
    thank you very much,
    Khoren

9. Bradybunch

Bradybunch

your welcome :) Glad its working.

Please mark as solved if you have not done so already,

Regards Mike

10. Bradybunch

Bradybunch

Oh and by the way, do you want your contacts that were displayed in your To: bar (Where you type in the persons email add you want to email)?

If so C:\Users\*Your User account Name*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook\

Outlook.Nk2 - Copy this into the same location of your new outlook, or over right it.

You will then see the list of contacts you have mailed.

11. jamwaky

jamwaky

If you are updating to 2010, you will need to start outlook by typing outlook.exe /importnk2 in the run command box once you have done the above as Bradybunch said.

Also, the nk2 file needs to be named exactly the same as the outlook profile. Go to control panel, mail and then click 'show profile's'. Normally the default is just 'Outlook'.

12. Bradybunch

Bradybunch

Reason for what "jamwaky" has said is in outlook 2010 the contacts stored in the *.Nk2 file are embedded within the outlook, (So you have to import them) and are displayed more effectively not only in your "To" bar but in a location under your local contacts folder called "suggested contacts". It a clever idea if you forget or cant find the person you previously emailed.

13. jamwaky

jamwaky

In other words, a cache of your previously used email contacts, not necessarily the ones you have saved in your contacts.

14. Bradybunch

Bradybunch

I guess it is a cache really, because you would only use outlook to gain access to your email weather it being exchange or Pop3, so your email is cached too...so yeah it is cached i guess. I.e coming from another source)

15. jamwaky

jamwaky

Its called the nickname cache

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice