1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook .PST access issues

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by blooneytoons, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blooneytoons

blooneytoons Thread Starter

Our .pst files are stored on our company's primary file server. This past weekend (10/10-10/11) I migrated our existing file server (W2K3 cluster environment) to a Virtual Machine with raw device mappings on an EMC array. The migration went well, however a small group of individuals are now having issues with their .pst files. One day they can access them with no problems, but then the next day they cannot. This is very strange.

I used a program call "Secure-Copy 3", which not only copied the data, but the file shares and permissions as well. The new file server was named the same as the old cluster virtual name. I did the original data transfer about 2-months ago, and up until this weekend had scheduled syncing jobs running to keep everything up-to-date on the VM side.

Some times a reboot works and other times removing and the re-adding the .pst file works. I am very frustrated and cannot seem to put my finger on what is causing this. I know it has something to do with the migration, but can't seem to wrap my head around it. :mad:

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. blooneytoons

blooneytoons Thread Starter

3. AtlasDesk

AtlasDesk

Hi Blooneytoons,
    we have exactly done the same thing a few months ago, except we dont have virtualized our servers.
    We have migrated our file server to a BladeCenter/SAN fiber channel IBM architecture.
    Steps are the sames as yours :
    1- Installed new server from scrath
    2- Then Used of secure-copy to replicate sharing-rights and data
    3- Then (D-day), we have done a differential restore of datas

Result :
    We have the same problem with PST outlook files

At this time we have tried several things.
    Tuning of network card parameters
    Broken the "teaming" option of Broadcom network cards
    Applied some registry changes
    All without success :(

We notice this week that some outlook PST are corrupted and are in "non-unicode" format.
    So, could you check if are in the same case ?
    Our side, we correct some corrupted PST files (from a Test user) and let see for few days if problem is solved for him.

So wait & see

4. zwr

zwr

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759688

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice