1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook PST - 'data file Personal Folders' was not closed properly

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by adgeek29, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adgeek29

adgeek29 Thread Starter

I continuously get the above message when I open up Outlook. It takes forever to open the program. I've done scanpst.exe and I think it fixes the problem but it doesn't. Can you help and tell me what to do?

When I close the program, I delete all the items, hit close all items and then exit. I have no idea what is going on. I guess there may be some errors in there but I can't fix it using scanpst.exe

THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU!

2. Uber-Geek

Uber-Geek

It sounds as though the pst file is not being closed properly when outlook closes.

A couple of things to try.

1. Are you up to date on patches for outlook? Microsoft Update might be the answer.
    2. How large is the file? I remember 2gb pst files having issues.
    3. Defrag? Chkdsk? Have they been run recently?

Hope this helps.

3. adgeek29

adgeek29 Thread Starter

Yes I'm up to date and I regularly run maintenance. My file is almost 3G. So I need to go into major delete mode?

4. Uber-Geek

Uber-Geek

That might be a good first step. I usually create an archive file, and move some of the old, not-so-important messages to that. You'll still be able to access it, but it will lower the size of the main .pst file

5. DistressInDamsel

DistressInDamsel

Ubergeek - Can you help me fix my MS outlook email box? I had two accounts that download emails from my local ISP. I was trying to create a third account that downloads emails from another server http://networksolutions.com/support/how-to-begin-using-pop-2 when I did something (I don't know what) that caused my outlook email box to stop sending and receiving, and also made the send/receive button disappear. I've been totally disabled for a week and have no money for tech support.

6. adgeek29

adgeek29 Thread Starter

Can you tell me how to create the Archive account so I can move some of my inactive stuff? Thanks again!

7. Uber-Geek

Uber-Geek

Click on File, New, Outlook Data File, and follow the prompts. This will create a separate .pst file from the main one, it will show up on the bottom of the folder list.

8. Uber-Geek

Uber-Geek

That link looks like its a program to setup the email for you. This might have disabled your previous setup.

My advice would be to go into the email account options, make note of the original two email account settings, then wipe them out and add them back in. If there is a third account in there, take that out as well.

Don't delete your PST file, just the email account settings. Once they are recreated, you should be back on track.

Good luck

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/850967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice