1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OUTLOOK .PST file OVER-SIZED

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by triandrew2001, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. triandrew2001

triandrew2001 Thread Starter

Well over the years I've always tried to keep my email files in OUTLOOK pruned and cleaned out. I guess over the course of this past year I wasn't so diligent in my duty because my OUTLOOK (from Office 2K) chose to lock up this week. After some research I find that versions of OUTLOOK older than 2003 have a limit on the size of your OUTLOOK.PST file of 2GB. Needless-to-say, mine had JUST topped that.

So I bit the bullet and updated my MS OFFICE to OFFICE 2007 (We had it at work so that was the best option,) with high hopes of just migrating my old outlook.pst file to it. OUTLOOK 2007 was unable to read it, and returned errors that it needed fixed. I attempted a fix with Scanpst.exe that comes with Office, and it found NO errors that it could fix. I did however find another software application, STELLAR PHOENIX OUTLOOK PST REPAIR that said it could easily fix my issue. The website said FREE DOWNLOAD... FIX OVERSIZED PST FILES, bla bla bla. Well yeah, the download IS free... and yes it WAS able to open and read EVERYTHING in my .PST file. What they DON'T tell you is that if you want to SAVE a new .PST, it's going to cost you $130 dollars. OUCH!

MY QUESTION: Anyone know of any cheaper solutions? I guess I'm willing to drop $20-$30 bucks on it if I have to. Personally I'd like to save those emails, but don't want to spend $130 to do so. Any thoughts??

As always... THANKS GUYS!

2. Rockn

Rockn

Import your old PST file into a new one in Outlook 2007.

3. triandrew2001

triandrew2001 Thread Starter

While a nice idea, you missed there part where I said...

OUTLOOK 2007 was unable to read it, and returned errors that it needed fixed. I attempted a fix with Scanpst.exe that comes with Office, and it found NO errors that it could fix. I did however find an outside application (STELLAR PHOENIX OUTLOOK PST REPAIR) that was able to open and read the entire outlook.pst file. It was FREE to download and scan my .PST file, but if I wanted to SAVE a new fixed .PST file, they wanted $130 bucks for it.

So this brings me back to my original question... any thoughts on another application or another route I can take to repair and rebuild my .PST file for a bit cheaper? I'm willing to do $20-$40 bucks if need be... was just hoping to find an avenue that didn't run me $130 bucks.

Your thoughts?

4. Rockn

Rockn

It cannot read it when it is added as a data file or it cannot read it when you try to import it into a new and empty PST data file? You never mentioned whether or not you had attempted this. I hope you had a backup of the PST file prior to running the "free" utility on it as it may have done something else to the file in order to extort some money out of you.

5. xugang

xugang

You can searth a tool(2GB152) to cut it. It will solve you problem.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can find a lot of PST extractors on the net. They will at least extract the emails from the file so that you can save them somewhere else and open them with Outlook when you need them. They vary in price, but not $130!

THIS COMPANY says that if all you want to do is extract emails from a PST file, you can drop them a line and they will send you a free registration.

7. jdoson77

jdoson77

Hi..:)
    You are aware of the fact that Outlook 2003 is not able to hold the PST data more than 2 GB and the chances of PST file corruption gets increased.
    In order to repair Outlook 2003 file, use reliable PST repair tool.
    You can even download this software to fix your corrupted PST file.

8. Rockn

Rockn

There is not a 2GB limit in Outlook 2003. The limit for Outlook 2003 and 2007 is 20GB. Why are you people hawing unneeded software to fix something that isn't broken?

9. annice

annice

Well, In Outlook 2003 and earlier version, the size limit of PST file is 2GB. If the file exceeds above 2GB, it gets corrupted. Once the pst file gets corrupted, you are no longer able to access your PST file. You can take help of scanpst utility to rectify pst file corruption but this tool is not so advanced and therefore, it fails to repair the oversized pst file. The best way is to use third party Outlook PST repair software to repair oversized pst file. It easily repairs oversized pst file and makes your PST accessible.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice