1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook PST file over written file reovery

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by emagine, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emagine

emagine Thread Starter

Hi guys.

Ok, stupidly I was copying my outlook PST file from my laptop to my desktop PC. The PST file on the laptop was to most up to date version. But I think I was still half asleep and I copied the files the wrong way round. I realised almost immediately and cancelled the copying but I have now lost my PST file on the laptop.

I have no run outlook yet so no PST file has been created on the laptop.

Is there ANYWAY i can recover the partially over written file?
    Does it get renamed as a temp file anywhere?

Cheers in advance

Stuart

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

There is no such thing as a partially overwritten file. Like being partially pregnant.

Are you certain you overwrote the exact file on the laptop that was in use before. Or did you just copy another PST file there, leave the original on the laptop in place?

Can you give details for what was done.

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Nope! Sorry but unless you have a backup of the file somewhere it is lost.

I would suggest using Acronis True Image for backing up your hard drive http://www.acronis.com

4. emagine

emagine Thread Starter

Hi Bob,

Ok I had the two windows open.... one with the laptop PST file in, one with the desktop PST file in. I dragged the desktop PST file to the Laptop PST holding folder and windows began the copying process.
    I cancelled it almost straight away with the cancel button. But this means there is no PST file in the Laptop outlook folder anymore.

The exact address for this folder is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Stuart Nicholls\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

thanks

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since that is the typical default location for a PST file, if there is nothing there right now, then likely the original is gone.

Can you double check the Outlook Data file location by going to the Control Panel / Mail icon.

6. emagine

emagine Thread Starter

yes that does seem to be confirmed as the files location.

Oooooh dear..... and no file recovery tools will help?

Bugger.... in advance :(

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!