1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook pst file

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by zenubio, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zenubio

zenubio Thread Starter

I exported my *.pst file from outlook 2000 and imported it into another machine with outlook xp.

Everything worked fine, except when I type a new message and click on the "to" box to bring up my contacts. I have doubles of everyone in my list. I looked in my contacts and there are no duplicates there.

Anyone know how to remove the doubles?

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    How many personal folder files are you using?

3. zenubio

zenubio Thread Starter

just one

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  5. zenubio

zenubio Thread Starter

Ok I figured out what the problem is.

I don't have duplicate contacts. The links you sent me were for programs that remove duplicate contacts.

I think this is just an outlook xp pro issue.

When I start a new message and click on the "to" box to bring up my contacts, SOME of my contacts show up twice. They show up twice if they 1. have an email and a business fax number or 2. they have multiple email addresses.

My NEW question is how to I do NOT display the people with Business fax numbers?

I can email you a screen shot if you'd like.

Really appreaciate your help.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    No screenshot, Zen. I've heard this before.... hang tight.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  8. zenubio

zenubio Thread Starter

thanks, that fixed it, exactly the problem I'm having.

Surprised there isn't a better way to fix it though. I know a lot of people that don't use outlook to fax documents, I'm sure there's a lot of people that do use it too though.

9. mitrich

mitrich

This one I have answered before, because I deal with it every day. When you want to send an email or a fax, you only want to see one entry for each name in your contact list. If you have multiple possibilities, like one or more fax numbers and/or one or more email addresses on a contact, all are going to show up.

I had to split my contacts into three different lists: a folder for direct fax, which is the fax telephone number; a separate folder of contacts for email; and a third folder for broadcast fax for which we use an email fax service. This is for when we need to send the same fax to many different recipients.

It was a bit of work, but with the "Edit|Copy to Folder command, its not to difficult to set up the number of folders you need.

Editing the contacts, if you have a lot ( my data=base is about 1200, is a *****, so here is the easy way out:

Export your contacts to Excel, using the default map. Then, decide what fields you want in a given folder (In my main fax folder, I have everything. That's the master folder, and you need one folder to have everything, but not more than one fax number or email address). In my email and broadcast fax via email folders, I have just the name, the email address, and a field of search keys. Three fields, that it. So, now, in Excel, delete all of the columns whichyou do not want to show up in a given folder. Then re-import that file into a new folder. This is minutes. Do it first for one set of numbers, and then Export from Outlook to Excel to a separate file for another set, whatever it is.

It's not hard, you will be happy with the results.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice