1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook PST with IMAP Account

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tlkamy, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlkamy

tlkamy Thread Starter

First of all, I don't understand PST very well! And, I hope I am posting in the correct forum.

We use Outlook 2003 with Exchange in Windows 2003 Server environment.
    In addition to regular user email accounts, we have a couple IMAP accounts that several employees access and respond to the emails.
    The primary user for one of these accounts is now not able to receive any new email for the IMAP account nor move an existing email from that Inbox to a subfolder. When we try to move an email, we get a message: "Can't move the items. The file .pst has reached its maximum size. To reduce the amount of data in this file, select some items that you no longer need, and then permanently delete them by pressing SHIFT+DELETE. You could also consider using the new Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst) introduced with Outlook 2003 that provides greater capacity for storing items and folders." I found an MS KB article that advised, because this is an IMAP account, it has the 2GB limit even thought it's Outlook 2003.

My question: Can I create a secondary PST file for this IMAP account in order to keep the current full PST file? For business reasons, it is important for us to keep the 2 GB of history that is in the current PST file, as well as to continue archiving email for this IMAP account.

I really appreciate any advice/suggestions/comments!
    Thank you!

2. kama64

kama64

Im not sure about the not receiving IMAP emails in the inbox, there might be some mailbox size limit setup in exchange, and they are over it.

But for the moving emails from inbox to the personal folders:

You can have as many personal folders as you want, but has to be way below the 2gb mark. Honestly I would make sure the personal folders are less than 500mb.

Here is a link to create .pst folders: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829971

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/583902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice