1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Steven Estes, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steven Estes

Steven Estes Thread Starter

Hi,

I use outlook Outlook Express (on XP) for email. I want to use Outlook 2003 only as a phone book.

Because I imported Outlook Express's address book into Outlook 2003, the Outlook 2003 contacts list gives not just the phone numbers (which I want), but also the email addresses.

I'd like to have Outlook 2003 give only the phone numbers (to save space). I could open each contact separately and delete the email address, but this would be a pain.

Is there any simple way to have Outlook 2003 contacts give only the phone number and not the email address?

I'd be most grateful for your mailing the answer to [email protected]

Many thanks,

Steve

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

First of all, Outlook Express and Outlook are related only by name. Outlook is part of Microsoft Office. Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer (pre version 6).

Outlook stores the addresses in a database that encodes the email address in addition to phone information by default. In fact, the email address is the key that controls the rest of the database entries. Think about it. The whole idea behind the address book is the email address. The phone number is the extra part.

Courtney sends...

3. Steven Estes

Hi,

I asked whether there was a quick way to get Outlook Contacts to list only names/phone numbers and NOT email addresses.

Someone responded:

>>First of all, Outlook Express and Outlook are related only by name. Outlook is part of Microsoft Office. Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer (pre version 6).

Outlook stores the addresses in a database that encodes the email address in addition to phone information by default. In fact, the email address is the key that controls the rest of the database entries. Think about it. The whole idea behind the address book is the email address. The phone number is the extra part.<<
    ]
    This may be true as a general description of Outlook, but is itrrelevant to my question. It is irrelevant because Contacts clearly CAN do what I want. The question is simply whether there is a quick way to do it.

It can be done by individually opening contacts, deleting the email address, and saving. (I use Outlook oonly as a phone dialer. I use Outloook Express for email.) The contact is then listed with just the phone number.

The problem, of course, is that it's a pain to do this for each contact. I was hoping that there was a "customize" menu command that told Contacts not to list the email address with each contact.

Best,

Steve
    [email protected]

4. Papermoon

Papermoon

I don't think there is a customization for that, but an easy way to do it would be by exporting the contacts to Excel.
    They will show up with one column containing the email address.
    You could delete the column, then iimport them back.
    I think if you choose not to create duplicates, it will overwrite the existing record with the new one that has no email address.

5. Steven Estes

Many thanks. A great idea.

Best,

Steve

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice