1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook read/unread messages

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Lasm1985, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lasm1985

Lasm1985 Thread Starter

I have a bit of a situation on my hands and someone's honesty is in question here.
    When using Outlook, what are the chances that messages appear as read/unbold when someone claims they actually weren't read until days later? This hasn't ever happened except for emails from one person in particular (thus why I think something's just not right here), since everyone else's emails appear read/unread at the appropriate times. Sorry if that's confusing, but I'm being told someone did NOT read 2 emails that appeared READ. Is Outlook making the mistake, the first and only time it's happened and with only one contact in particular, or is this highly unlikely and something else is going on?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Since a message can be marked as read or unread at will, this isn't an indicator as to whether or not the personal actually read the message.

3. Lasm1985

Lasm1985 Thread Starter

With Firefox, there isn't the option to mark as read/unread, that's only with Internet Explorer. And I know that isn't an issue in my case.

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I thought the question was about Outlook. Outlook isn't connected to a web browser.

5. luvduvs

luvduvs

Read receipts help, but the surest way is if the recipient replies.

6. Lasm1985

Lasm1985 Thread Starter

All I know is when I open Outlook with IE, I have the option to mark as read or unread. When I open it in Firefox, I don't.

7. luvduvs

luvduvs

How do you open Outlook with IE?? :confused:

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Outlook is a stand-alone application. It doesn't run from within a browser. Are you talking about Outlook Web Access? In any case, I don't believe Exchange Server (which is what's used with Outlook Web Access) tracks whether a message has been marked read or not. Even if the message were actually marked read, you can't prove whether the personal actually read the message. The person could have simply opened the message and then closed it.

You're chasing a problem that doesn't have a technical solution. If this is a serious matter, you'll need to involve Human Resources and possibly an attorney. Otherwise, I would suggest dropping it.

9. Lasm1985

Lasm1985 Thread Starter

I'm not terribly good with computers, sorry if this isn't making much sense. It's a school email account that uses Outlook, you go thru the school's website to sign in to your email and then it uses Outlook.
    I'm not sure what gave anyone the impression that a lawyer would be necessary, that's not how I automatically handle my computer issues. If some things don't have an explanation, then they don't, that simple. I was just wondering.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice