1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook reinstall data missing

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Tonerhead, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tonerhead

Tonerhead Thread Starter

Hi.

I recently had to run a recovery on my HP and subsequently lost Office 2000 Professional. I re-installed it, thinking I would easily be able to bring back all of my folders/emails into Outlook.

Call me stupid, but I can't find any of them. I've never had to do this, so I don't know where to look. I think I understand the import feature, if I knew where they were. I tried looking in the Outlook folders, but all I see is the folder for the data from the new install.

I can't work tomorrow unless I fix this, so I will be anxiously awaiting a reply.

Thank you very much for your help. You people seem to be on top of things!

Tonerhead

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

When you did a recovery, did you run it as a repair, (reload Windows, not a complete re-install)?

If you have reinstalled it (and it sounds like you may have, if you needed to re-install Office) then your data may be overwritten.

Outlook data is held in a .pst file. Search for these on your HDD.

If its critical data you have lost, DO NOT USE THE PC.

It may be recoverable (by experts, for $$) provided you do not use the computer and over-write the area on the HDD.

3. Tonerhead

Tonerhead Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Kiwi.

I DID re-install Office/Outlook in the limited fix, not the complete nuke. Here's the funny thing: When I run 'Find' (Windows 98) for .pst files, I find zilch. Not even the e-mails that I've received since yesterday when I re-installed.

Am I searching correctly?

Thanks,
    Tonerhead

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Haven't used 98 for a long time.
    Does it show "system files" by default?, or do you have to enable searching of them. As in XP?

The PST will be a system file.

Drop into a DOS command prompt window.

CD \
    DIR *.pst /s

5. Tonerhead

Tonerhead Thread Starter

Thank you for your continued help.

Again, call me stupid, but I don't know how to "drop into a DOS command prompt window".

Could you explain?

Thanks,
    Tonerhead

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Probably best you don't then.

Can you check that there are settings for "show system files" in Windows Explorer and Search? If there are, and they are not enabled, you wont see the files.

7. Tonerhead

Tonerhead Thread Starter

I clicked the advanced tab in 'find', and chose system files. I searched for "outlook" and found a file just called 'outlook' (.pst search showed nothing). It is 3.4 MB and it's path is C/Windows/Local settings/application/data/microsoft/outlook.

I tried to open it, but it asks what program I want to use. Is this anything?

PS. Actually there are two files like that. They are called Office Data Files. The modified date/time is the time I tried to open it a few minutes ago.

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You must enable "show file extensions" (but it may be "hide file extensions for known filetypes" that need deselecting)

The size and location sound about right. Its probably your Outlook.pst.

You need to save a copy somewhere else first, in case it gets damaged.

Then try importing it within Outlook (File-Import and Export)

9. Tonerhead

Tonerhead Thread Starter

Ok, I went to Outlook and ran an Import. I chose that file but it turns out to be the file for the fresh Outlook I have now i.e. same folders to choose from that I just made yesterday. There are actually two of those files, but they are exactly the same.

And I unclicked the hide file extension box you spoke of and clicked the "show all files" box.

What next?

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

In the worst case scenario, the re-installation of Outlook could have replaced your Outlook.pst with a new "empty" one.

If there are no other copies of .pst files on the PC, thats looking more likely I am afraid.

11. Tonerhead

Tonerhead Thread Starter

Ok, thanks anyhow. I guess I'll just have to accept it and move on (sniff,sniff).

If I find anything is different in the next few days, I'll post it for you.

Thanks for all the help!
    Tonerhead

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice