1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook rules cloning emails, not simply moving them

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by LinDaniel, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LinDaniel

LinDaniel Thread Starter

I have both incoming and outgoing emails sent to multiple people. Most are filtered into one subfolder because they all apply to the same group project. Email can be incoming/outgoing from one or more of this list of people, so I set up rules for each person to filter into this one subfolder.

The rule says "move" to subfolder.
    I want Outlook to move the email at the first rule.
    Outlook applies all rules to that one email, not simply the first one.
    I end up with five or six of the same email in that one subfolder.
    For example, I could get email from Person X, Person Y, or Person Z. Or from Persons X & Y, Persons X & Z, or Person Y and someone not yet listed. Each email needs to be moved to the one subfolder once, not once for each person.

All instructions on how to make or apply rules imply or state that the rules are applied in a specific order. Why else would there be instructions on how to change the order in which they are applied?

I have placed my rules in order, rearranged the order, deleted and started over (over 100 rules) going very slowly and verifying every variable. "Move" still doesn't move until all possible rules are applied.

What setting do I need to set to get the *bleepin* software to move an email to a subfolder once and only once? A solution one person found, listed in these forums, was to set some obscure setting to "stop after this rule" and then manually run each of two rules. With over 100 rules, that's not feasible.

If there is a way to manually run a set of rules at one time, I can do that. But the manual rules process I can find is a one at a time thing. Also not feasible.

2. cropperjim

cropperjim

I wish somebody would answer LinDaniel's question. I have the same problem. The rule works when I run it manually but that defeats the purpose of having the rule. I could move the e-mail myself if I wanted to do something manual. Thanks LinDaniel for posting the question, now let's see if we can get a response.

3. cropperjim

cropperjim

Finally, this problem is solved for me. I'm not sure if it will solve LinDaniel's problem - it may already be solved for him. My problem came from having 2 rules that did their job. I have Outlook 2007 checking my Yahoo account. I had a rule that moved incoming Yahoo mail to a folder called "Inbox - Yahoo". Then I had a rule that moved e-mails with [Bulk] in the subject line to the junk folder.

So, what was happening was the e-mails were coming into the account inbox, One rule "moved" it to the Yahoo inbox, and the rule "moved" it to the junk folder. I put moved in quotes because apparently, the delete part of the move doesn't happen until the other rules fire - a guess.

Anyway, I changed the delivery folder on the account to "Inbox - Yahoo" and deleted that move rule. Now it works fine. Funny how computers do exactly what you tell them to do. Sometimes I wish they would do what I want them to do.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice