1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Rules Question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BML, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

Is there a way to create a rule in Outlook 2002 where it would filter all messages that have a random string of characters/digits in the subject line?

I have noticed that a lot of spam messages have some words and then some seemingly random letters on the subject line. I dont know why they do it like that.

bruce

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

I have no idea how it could be done, but I am sure if someone devoted enough time it could be done!

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I don't even think Outlook XP can do this. They use the random letters to sneak the spam past the servers. Hopefully soon someone will come up with a way to block these. This last year I've received a ton more spam then last year. It's getting really bad :(

I don't even know why they do it, no one actually reads spam anyway. I don't even open them up. I just highlight the whole lot of them and click delete :D Some days I'll get hundreds of worthless spam messages. There ought to be a law ! :rolleyes:

4. RandyG

RandyG

There are paid for services that purport to be able to do this. Polymorphic spamming is a pain!!

I just found a neat tip, though. Create a rule in Outlook that treats any mail with multiple spaces in the subject as spam. Many of these polymorphic mails have several spoaces after the gist of their subject, and then the random characters are inserted.

5. Deke40

Deke40

6. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

At least now I know what it's called :D

Good tip, I'll have to try it. I just heard that one of the people running for governor of California is sending out tons of spam (n) Let's hope he doesn't win :p

Deke thanks for the information, great link ;)

7. BML

BML Thread Starter

Now that I think about it I have seen where they put those random letters several spaces past the last real word such as in this example:
    "Add More Inches Now dsfjopc"

(well, i tried to illustrate it but the forum is deleting extra spaces but imagine two spaces after the word "now")

So to create such a rule would it be like, if subject line contains " " (blank spaces) then delete? There are two spaces there but what if they use 3 or 4 or 5?

bruce

8. RandyG

RandyG

If you specify 2 spaces in the rule, then any mail that fits that specification will be included. If it has 3 or 4 or 83 spaces, then it still has 2, doesn't it?

9. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Is that two or more spaces, or just two spaces in the rule :confused:

I think you mean two or more, but I just want to be clear ;)

10. BML

BML Thread Starter

yes, two or more. I cant recall a single email that someone sent me that was legit that had more than 1 space between words; people just dont write like that.

bruce

11. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Maybe people don't, but eBay certainly does :eek: :D

12. RandyG

RandyG

The tip I got it from mentioned 6 or 8 spaces, but that wouldn't catch ones that had less than that. Easy way to try it out is to set it to 2 and move it to a Spam folder, then do a quick browse to make sure that it hasn't caught anything you want to keep. Adjust the amount of spaces as necessary.

13. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

OK :)

I started with three spaces but I'll increase it to four...

14. BML

BML Thread Starter

Well, I did create a rule that said to move messages with two spaces in the subject line to the deleted folder, but on one spam email it did not work. I dont know why. I accidently deleted the message so I can't "disect" it anymore to learn why.

I will keep you posted if it happens again.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice