1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook: sending mail from a different email address

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dfarbey, Oct 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dfarbey

dfarbey Thread Starter

I generally work from home, and emails addressed to me at my employer's domain are redirected to my personal email address at my ISP's domain. What I want to do is send mail through my ISP, but I want it to appear as though it came from my employer's domain.

However, when I enter "[email protected]_domain.com" in the From field, the recipient gets an email which says it comes from "[email protected]_ISPs_domain.com on behalf of [email protected]_domain.com".

Can I do anything to change this?

Thanks,

David Farbey,
    London UK

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its not "kosher" to "spoof" a from: address, as it can be very misleading if used unwisely.

This is how many viruses propogate, by using their own SMPT mail engine to spoof the true address, its likely to fall foul of some security settings on company servers and you mail may not get through, if indeed you could do it.

Under Internet Email settings you can change the "reply e-mail" address, so that if they use "reply" it will use the compny address.

3. dfarbey

dfarbey Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. If I have understood you correctly, because some people change their "from" addresses to spread viuses or spam, even those people who have legitimate reasons to send mail from an alternative address can't do so. Is that correct?

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

forward the mail if you want whomever to look thru all the names to see where it originated.

when i forward stuff i remove all the headers/footers so folks don't see all the garbage. :cool:

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

If you have two or more genuine accounts you can choose which one to use in the drop down box from the SEND dialogue. You must, however have a connection to the correct SMPT for that account.
    So, for instance, I have accounts with two service providers. If one of them is 'down' I can use the drop-down to send from the other one, but only if I break the connection with the first and establish one with the second. The headers on the mail WILL and SHOULD reflect this. The reply address is independant as has already been stated.

6. dfarbey

dfarbey Thread Starter

This problem is now resolved by the simple expedient of organising POP access to my account through my employers ISP, so I now have a genuine entry in the Outlook accounts list.

An interesting foornote: while I was using the Outlook "From" field", recipients who used web-based services never saw the sender as "[email protected]_ISPs_domain.com on behalf of [email protected]_domain.com", but only as "[email protected]_domain.com".

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

it's not magic.

when you setup the new pop3 account to recieve from your employer, you still send thru your isp's smtp server.

at some point in setting up the account, a box is filled out with whatever you type in, as to who the mail is coming from.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/411865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice