Outlook slows down Terminal Server while searching

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Benny19

Hi,

I hope this is the correct place to ask my question.
We have the following problem at our company:
We are using Terminal Servers with XP/Office 07 and Exchange. The problem depends Outlook-search. Always when a user runs a search, the server-performance craps down and all other user get performance problems. We use WDS4.

What I want to know is if somebody else has similar problems and if yes, how to solve it. I do not know if the problem is because of the Exchange server or Terminal Server.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

We had a similar problem in our company! We thought that it is because of WDS4 because it is permanently indexing and because of that it needs a lot resources! Then we changed to another tool called Lookeen, and since then we hadn´t the problem anymore! Beside this I find it much more convenient to work with Lookeen than with WDS! If you want to try it there is a 14 day-free version with which you can test it, if it solves your problem! www.lookeen.net

Yes I have seen this problem as well. The search feature can be a gift and a curse at the same time. I believe what happens is users who are logged in to TS are idle and then the search feature will start indexing after a set amount of idle time (not sure what the default time is). Maybe you can adjust that or just remove Windows Search 4.0 from the system. I removed it and my problem went away. I also remove it from employee's systems as well when they start complaining about a "slow computer". They stop complaining 90% of the time after that.

Windows Search 4.0 is only supposed to index when the system is idle but I find that to be false and have seen it indexing while users have been quite active.

Benny19

First I want to thank for the responses, I´m very appreciated about that!

@keg: this information has a high value, thank you, my theory was similar but I was not sure about that. The thing is that we need a search tool for our mails, we have a lot of traffic and the users are complaining to get a powerful tool.
So what is your solution? Are your users working without a search-tool or do they use the standart search of outlook?

@Jongle: Thank you very much about this tip! We are currently testing Lookeen and it seems to be great! The server capazities are not over normal and Lookeen is amazingly fast.
I will post more informations when we took a decision to buy it (or not). Up to now we are very satisfied.

Greets Ben

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online