1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Suggestion for Microsoft

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Steven Estes, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steven Estes

Steven Estes Thread Starter

Hi,

This is not a question, but a suggestion for Microsoft (in the hope they read these).

Like virtually every other appointment.task program, Outlook fails to give tasks/ToDos the functionality of appointments.

I, and I would think a good number of users of such programs, use the program as a Calendar/Task program, not for appointments. I want a task to come up only on the date I set, to be able to recur, and the like.

There was one great program (OnTime) that did what I wanted. (I still use it.) Moreover, it has the nice ability to have priorities 1-99, enabling the user to put tasks in precise order.

The only problem with OnTime (aside from it no longer being for sale) is that, like all 1994 programs, its entries were limited to 80 or so characters. You'd be amazed at how often an entry is 85-90 characters. (You can add a note--as long as you want--to an entry, but this is a bother for a 90-character entry that would be avoided if an entry would go to the next line.)

Anyway, I can't imagine that adding this function to Outlook would be a big programming problem.

Best,

Steve
    [email protected]

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there,

First of all, Microsoft does not read these. You should go to the Microsoft website and find a way to contact them through there. Or you could visit the Microsoft Outlook newsgroups and make a post there. Either the MVPs could help you or possibly pass along your suggestions to them.

AFAIK, at least from what I understand of your suggestion, is that it is already a part of Outlook. At least in the 2003 version. I can set an appointment to occur as many times as I would like and remind me at whatever incriment I choose. Couldn't help you with previous versions though.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

Steve, I was using Outlook for exactly the same purpose. I wanted to be reminded at whatever intervals I set to be reminded of bills I need to be on top of. I like the Outlook function where I could put in as much data as I wanted in each set reminder. I could additionally put as much pre-notice on each of those reminders I set. As the reminders came up I could also put a "snooze" on it for minutes, hours, days, even weeks, if I wanted.

All that was good, but Outlook is a big program that I prefer not to be running all the time. I also wanted something smaller than I could put in my auto-startup (which I did not want with Outlook) without too much overhead.

I found such a program, and it is free. It is called "UK's Kalender." You might want to check into it. (The developer's website, www.8ung.at/ukrebs/, is down right now.)

I use version 2.1.4 of the program right now, and the only thing I miss is the ability to print out my calendar, but other than that I have been pretty happy with it.

UPDATE: Oops! I just discovered that I can print an image of my calendar by using the Export (to either HTML or a CSV), and I can specify a range of dates and format. I can even setup my own template. This is cool. I now have no issues at all. I am a happy camper. :)

4. Steven Estes

Many thanks, Chuck. I'll give it a shot right away.

Steve

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

6. Steven Estes

That's great, Chuck. I was having trouble getting to the site, but this new site works perfectly and I've just downloaded Kalendar.

Thanks again,

Steve

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice