1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook Synchronization

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Rob Goodall, Jan 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rob Goodall

Rob Goodall Thread Starter

Here's the problem: how can I synchronize MS Outlook on my desktop machine with MS Outlook (both 2000) on my laptop machine? The are connected via an ethernet router, which also connects both to the Internet via cable modem. I've looked all over and can't seem to find a simple solution to this problem. Any ideas?

2. Rockn

Rockn

In your settings for the mail server check the box for leave a copy of message on the server. If this isn't checked the messages get stored locally. It might be able to be done if you use net folders in 2000

3. Rob Goodall

Rob Goodall Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice about leaving mail on the server. However, I am not just interested in e-mail. I want to synchronize my calendar, contacts, to-do list and so on. So far, I haven't found any easy way to do it. Is this because Microsoft thinks you shouldn't be using one program on two machines? (you can only use one at a time!) Seems to me this feature, and one that removes duplicates should be built into the program.

4. Raphael

Raphael

I know that this is not what you asked, but a Palm Pilot will do the trick for you

5. tomlunt

tomlunt

Rob -

here's another option that i use. The downside is that you can only use one of the computers at a time.

I have a laptop and a desktop, both with Outlook 2000. I move the outlook.pst file (where all the data is stored) from one machine to another using Laplink. I the computers are on a network, so the transfer is fast.

The laplink software has something called an Exchange Agent. Basically you just match up whatever folders you need synchronized on two different machines and let it go.

In other words.:

1. Work all day at office
    2. Run Exchange Agent before going home (both computer now synchronized)
    3. Work at home in evening
    4. Go back to work in morning
    5. Run Exchange Agent again (both computer synchronized again).

It's not a perfect solution, but it works for me. The exchange agent only takes a minute or two.

This also means i have good backups all the time.

If you want to run both at the same time, this won't help.

Tom

6. Ophelia_Hardin

Ophelia_Hardin

Jerry Pounelle mentions a program that will do this -- check his site and do a search http:://www.jerrypournelle.com

7. Raphael

Raphael

Can you spell that again please??

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice