1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook timinig out becouse of delayed write

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TheNorwegian, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNorwegian

TheNorwegian Thread Starter

Hi folks
    My first post here so I hope you can help me.

I moved 4000 users home directory to a new virtual server share.
    Outlook is timing out for all users who used PST files and had rules set up.
    They get a delayed write error that the PST file no longer is found.
    The strange thing is that it is looking for the PST file in the old server location.
    Giving the user the path all the way down to the lanmandirector.
    (In theory the PST file never moved as its mapped with the same drive letter)

The users have their home directory changed in user manager to point to the new server and also they still map to the same share drive letter. (Repeating my self a little bit)
    Outlook should have grabbed the PST file from that drive since its logical from the user point of view.

Now re-applying the client rules though a forced update on the rules wizard in outlook does not fix it.
    Only workaround I've found so far is to have users re-create their Outlook profiles and export old rules for then to import them later in the new profile.
    Then they have to set up everything from scratch.
    And most of the 4000 users got a shared calendar from their section leader and other shared mailboxes.
    Most of my users are quite adept and are able to do this through a few pointers, but not all 4000 of them. ItÂ’s a slow process and id like to figure out if there is a way to have outlook look for the PST file only in the drive not the whole path of the lanmandirector that is supposed to be hidden to users.

Hope you understand my problem.

The rules are all client side
    The mail server is Exchange 5.5 running on a windows 2000 server.
    The clients are all windows 2000 pro with outlook 2000.

The Norwegian

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice