1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook "to" and "from" fields change by themselves

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by AllenI, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllenI

AllenI Thread Starter

I'm running Microsoft Outlook 2003 SP3, Part of Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003. I have a problem, which many others seem to have had, in that I'll open my Sent folder, and instead of the "to" field being present, I find that it has (uncommanded by me) changed to the "from" field ... and similarly sometimes the inbox folder will display the "to" field instead of the "from" field that was there the last time I looked at it. There are at least two other threads in these forums ( techguy.org/557884 and techguy.org/714272) that are about the identical issue. These were written years ago, but I can't see that anyone has had a solution for preventing this from happening. Post numbers 11 and 17 in the thread techguy.org/557884 seem to indicate that the CAUSE is related to searching mail folders - this seems to correlate to my own experience - perhaps even that it occurs only when I search across multiple mail folders for an item (setting the "search in" field of the "look for" function to "All Mail Folders". Now I know the joke about the guy who went to the doctor and said, "Doc, my arm hurts when I hold my hand over my head like this. What advice do you have?", to which the Doctor said, "My advice? Don't do that." But that is NOT the answer I want in this case. I need to be able to search multiple folders for correspondence. I'm just hoping that someone knows a way to "Do That" without getting hurt - i.e., to prevent the "to" field in the "inbox" mail folder from changing to "from" (I like my name, but don't need to see it there), and changing the "from" filed in the "sent" mail folder from changing to "to" from "from" (again, I like my name, but know that mail in my inbox is to me) So the question is, "Is there any way to PREVENT Outlook from performing an uncommanded change to the folder fields/columns as described?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice