1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook/Vista error - "OLE ... Call Failed"

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by shedlord, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shedlord

shedlord Thread Starter

Hi,

Think this just shades being in here rather than the Vista forum (?)

Our company has a modified CRM system which is used to manage workflow and generate staff activity diaries within several departments. There is a central SQL database, but part of the way it operates is by syncing with Outlook to generate certain activity prompt emails.
    When a user launches the software, one of the things it does first is start Microsoft Outlook in the background (as a service).

I recently installed the software on a Vista box to test it. I had to set it to run in XP compatibility mode (otherwise it doesn't launch at all) but otherwise it seemed to work ok except for refusing to open Outlook on launch. It comes up with 4 errors...

OLE: Get FolderInbox CALL FAILED
    OLE: Get FolderDeleted CALL FAILED
    OLE: Get FolderCalendar CALL FAILED
    OLE: Get FolderContacts CALL FAILED

Now, the company that wrote the system and provide the support switched to a .net version a while back. They say they don't support the old version on Vista.

The PC has Outlook 2007 installed. We have the system running fine on XP boxes with Outlook 2007.

My best guess is that this is either something to do with the permissions on Vista, or it is using some kind of connection method that has been retired/disabled/turned off in Vista.

I have tried running the CRM as administrator, and attempted to set Outlook to run as administrator (although whether this would work when it is launched in the way described above I have no clue). Also tried turning off UAC completely.

None of this solved it.

Can anyone suggest other things to try because I'm pretty stuck now?

thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. shedlord

shedlord Thread Starter

Looks like I stumped the board with this one then. Do I get a prize?

4. GLComputing

GLComputing

Was the system designed for Outlook 2007?
    MS changed the native file formats and much of the API for Outlook 2007

Failing that what CRM system, or who wrote it?

5. shedlord

shedlord Thread Starter

> Was the system designed for Outlook 2007?

It works fine on XP with Outlook 07, just gives these errors on vista.

> Failing that what CRM system, or who wrote it?

Not a mainstream one. Can't really say more than that.

---

We have a solution to this problem now, although not one that helps anyone else with similar issues I'm afraid. Basically, we discovered that due to the way we use the system the immediate starting of Outlook as a service wasn't necessary. The link between the 2 programs was something we have been setting up via the preferences since we first started using the system years ago, because that was how we were shown to set it up.

thanks for the input anyway

6. GLComputing

GLComputing

The only suggestion would be to contact the manufacturer of the CRM

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/736476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice