Outlook vs firewall--the problem continues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dmammana

I received some great help from this forum earlier today and thought the problem was solved. No such luck!

I use MS Outlook to access e-mail but my Norton Personal Firewall was blocking it from the signal from my wireless router. I reconfigured the firewall to "permit all" with Outlook (and, of course, disabled the Windows firewall completely) and it worked just fine. At home.

But then I took the laptop to the public library to check it out with another strong signal. Nothing. I can log onto the internet just fine--which I could do before as well--but still cannot access e-mail via Outlook from a signal other than my own.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me... there's not much hair left to pull out!

etaf

Wayne
it may be you POP account is locked into your broadband connection
can you use webmail with your ISP

whos you ISP ?

dmammana

I use my webmail via SimpleNet.com (where I've got my website skyscapes.com and where my e-mail comes in). My ISP is CableUSA.

At the direction of the SimpleNet folks I changed both my POP3 and SMTP to mail.skyscapes.com as well as my outgoing server number, and that's when it started working from my home location. But it still doesn't work elsewhere.

The problem may be that the different locations you go to may be using an ISP different than yours.

dmammana

I'm sure they're using different ISPs--but other people have no difficulty accessing their e-mail with Outlook from other places.

etaf

Wayne
it may be worth asking your ISP if you can acces there POP servers from any internet connection.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online