1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

outlook won't remember my passwd

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nedw, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nedw

nedw Thread Starter

on xp, 2 login user accounds, 1st account has 3 imap e-mail accounts and OE remembers passwords.
    2nd account, 2 pop3 e-mails neither send/receive unless i put in passwd EVERY time.

I can't see any changes between settings of OE between both XP login accounts

any ideas

2. nedw

nedw Thread Starter

just a reminder - that outlook express asks for my password every time i send and receive. i have got another user on the same computer and XP remembers the passwords. i cannot see any difference in the setup. help pls

3. nedw

nedw Thread Starter

come on guyes... 24 hour in and i'm the only reply = i am talking to myself !

before starting a new thread, i'll try and re-phase it here ;

my computer (XP) has two users. one can have his passwords remembered in outlook and the other user has to input his password every time sending and recieving e-mails.

what is the deal ? (1st user has IMAP e-mail and 2nd user has pop3)

4. Augie65

Augie65

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

On systems, Outlook or Outlook Express will not remember the e-mail password,
    which would then need to be entered in each time.

To solve the problem:

1. Open Registry Editor
    2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft
    3. Right Click Protected Storage System Provider
    4. Choose the Permissions option
    5. Click the Advanced box near the bottom right hand corner. This should open another box, Towards the bottom of this box there should be two tick boxes, make sure that both of them are ticked. Click Apply, another box will open Click Yes, then Click OK and OK again.
    6. Left Click the + next to Protected Storage System Provider and Delete any sub folder in this tree. (Right clicking and choose the delete option or press the delete key and choosing yes to delete)
    7. Shutdown and Restart Computer.

6. nedw

nedw Thread Starter

thnks very much - this has worked and i don't have to input any passwords into Outlook Express to send and receive..

BUT the next (slight) problem now is that, from the XP Login page, the user that had to input a password every time, now has e.g. '1 process running and 2 unread e-mails'.
    The problem being that if i delete all mail or get e.g. 7 e-mails, the login page always is stuck with ' 2 e-mails unread '

any ideas on this one ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!