1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook XP (2002) crashes on launch. Please help!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sanjay131, Jun 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sanjay131

sanjay131 Thread Starter

A couple of days ago my Outlook XP (2002) began crashing on start-up (after generally launching and running normally before). I installed Office XP Service Pack 3 in hope that this update would fix the problem however it didn't.

On start-up, the following things occur:
    1. The MS Outlook main window and introduction splash screen (i.e. large logo with user and product ID details, etc) is displayed as if Outlook is loading as normal
    2. The main application window is white, i.e. with no actual program elements (folder list, preview pane, etc) displayed inside except the main toolbar ("File", "Edit", "View", etc).
    3. After a short while (c.15-30 seconds) the application crashes and the "Restart Microsoft Outlook" and "Send Error Report" dialogue box is displayed. The Error Report contains the following error signature data:

AppName: Outlook.exe
    AppVer: 10.0.6626.0
    ModName: Outllib.dll
    ModVer: 10.0.6515.0
    Offset: 0002d704

Outlook also failed to launch in "Safe Mode" and also after I deleted my default Outlook.pst and Outlook-Hotmail.pst files (made copies first so I didn't lose the data).

I have spent the last couple of days trying to resolve this problem myself and checked several websites (including Microsoft) for any information that might help me but have found nothing.

I urgently need to get my Outlook back up and running and access to the data contained in my PST file. I would appreciate any help you can offer in resolving this problem.

Thanks for your help.

2. JimiT

JimiT

It sounds like safe mode didn't work? The next thing to try is to make a new profile for Outlook. If you go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, you'll find a "Mail" icon. Double click on that, then click the Show Profiles button. Next, click the Add button and follow the prompts. You'll need to know your e-mail account and server information for this, but if you're not sure you can skip the e-mail setup and just create a profile with no e-mail account (but you'll probably get prompted a few times to make sure you really don't want to add e-mail.

If that doesn't work (or you could try this first since it's easier to try), Double click on "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel. Find Microsoft Office or Microsoft Outlook if Office is not available and then click the Add/Remove button. An option should come up to allow you to Repair Office. You might be prompted for the CD during the repair.

Hopefully one of these options will allow you to get into Outlook.

3. ericj

ericj

Hi everyone,

I have just recently encountered the same error. If anyone has any other ideas that would be really great to hear. I have done the following but had no luck;

1. tried using a new pst file
    2. ran the repair and reinstall from add remove programs
    3. tried starting outlook in safemode
    4. tried letting outlook repair itself at startup
    5. renamed the outllib.dll to outllib.old
    6. renamed multiple instances of outllib.dll
    7. inserted a known good outllib.dll file
    8. renamed the extend.dat file and tried to have outlook create a new one
    9. renamed the outcmd.dat file and tried to have outlook create a new one

Also, I did discover that if I setup a local personal folder and have email delivered to it instead of the users exchange server profile, outlook will open and display the Outlook Today mailbox and the regular mailbox. I can then expand the regular mailbox and access everything except the Inbox. I thought that maybe it might have something to do with too much email in the inbox or too many files with attachments pushing way over the size limit. Maybe even a corrupt email. So, I was able to access the user's inbox via our internet web access utility and found that the user did have 7 emails that were in the 6, 7 and 8 MB file size range. So the user said I could delete them but once I went back to try to open outlook the same error popped up. Any ideas? Please help!!!

Thanks!

4. t_harryman

t_harryman

Have O2K3 Pro over TS on W2K3 SP1 hitting Exch 2K3 server. We use roaming profiles. On different Terminal Server works flawlessly. On this one, if the mail profile has ANY data files (pst's) open, it crashes. Remove them, it works fine. Tried mapping to shares, local drives, always crashes unless pst's removed using mail utiltiy in Control Panel. ANy and all help appreciated.

5. JimiT

JimiT

the next thing that I would try is to repair the Exchange Server Mailbox folders by running the /resetfolders switch. To do this, make sure that the default profile is set to use the Exchange server as the delivery location, then go to Start, Run and Type
    Outlook.exe /resetfolders
    If this doesn't help, the Exchange administrator might be able to run a fixup on the mailbox, or re-create it on the server.

t harryman, are these NEW pst files?

6. ericj

ericj

Thanks for the reply JimiT! Your suggestion came a day too late. What fixed the problem for me was to setup the clients email account on a Windows XP machine running Outlook2003. Once this had been setup I was able to open the clients Outlook profile on the Windows 2000 machine. Don't know what was repaired by setting up the profile on the XP machine. Any answers as to what it was that made the Outlook profile work would be great! Thanks for all the help and hope this helps others!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/375546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice