1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook XP .pst Files in WinXP?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Wet Chicken, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken Thread Starter

We just upgraded from Win ME to Windows XP Pro. We tried to install Outlook XP but we can't locate where the .pst files are kept. We tried to do a search but nothing showed up. Could someone please tell us where they moved this folder to?

Thanks ;)

2. mknott

mknott

hi,

if you have done a search and found nothing then the chances are that it has been deleted unfortunatly.

normail the file resides in c:\documents and settings\"username"\local settings\microsoft\outlook

i might be slightly out on that as i only got NT4 here at work :(

3. mknott

mknott

oh while i rember.. you need to change the settings to show hidden files and folders or you wont find it :)

4. Wet Chicken

What settings?

Where do we change them?

Thanks..

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Start- search - more advanced options - tick Search system folders, Hidden files and folders, subfolders.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

One thing I like to do is keep the PST file in either My Documents or another folder that is a bit easier to locate. This is pretty easy to do with any version of Outlook. Also makes it easy to backup since you know where it is.

7. Wet Chicken

Will it effect how Outlook works if we move the file to another partition like D or E, instead of C?

Where do we change the files location at? :confused:

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Outlook PST data files can be anywhere you want, another drive, another partition, network drive etc.

See http://www.onecomputerguy.com/app_info/outlook_xp.htm for how to configure OutlookXP/2003.

There is a section towards the bottom to change the location of your PST file.

9. Wet Chicken

Thank you Bob (y)

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Actually all versions of Outlook since Outlook98 will allow you to put the PST file in any location.

I like doing this since it is so much easier to remember something like c:\email\my.pst than the long string of directories you normally would need to deal with.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice