Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlook Xpress not acting right.

4K views 18 replies 2 participants last post by  EAFiedler 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, seems like Outlook xpress has a problem again. I get an error window w/the yellow sign & exclamation point. It states : The host SMPT could not be found, please verify that you've entered the server name correctly. Acct: HTTP' server: SMTP, Protocol: SMTP, port 25, secure (SSL) nosocket error : 11001, error # 0x800CCC0D. :confused: I have win.98SE, I think. Dell Dim. L667r, 128 mem. 6+ speed.

I'm lost with this type of stuff. Any help is appreciated. :)

#2 ·
Hi JoeLo

Acct: HTTP' server: SMTP, Protocol: SMTP, port 25, secure (SSL) nosocket error : 11001, error # 0x800CCC0D.
Is this the full error message?
If so, you may be missing the SMTP server setting.

Which ISP do you use?

Check your settings in Outlook Express,
Tools > Accounts > (AccountName) > Properties > Server tab

This link shows some server settings:
http://www.answersthatwork.com/ISP_pages/isps.htm

After verifying your account settings are correct, in the link below are other items that can interfere with Sending and Receiving of e-mail.

How to troubleshoot error messages that you receive when try to send and receive e-mail in Outlook and in Outlook Express

Can you logon to your ISP's mail server?

Let us know.

#3 ·
I have cable connection, ISP (Cablevision Optimum Online) Use IE to connect.
Went to Outlook x-press>tools>accts, no server tab only these the following tabs on top... All, Mail, News, Directory svc. On the right side... Add, Remove, Properties, Set as default, import, export, set order, close.
I'm getting 2 error messages now, the second one is the same as the first except it's referring to "HTTP" protocol, POP 3 error 101.
I haven't the slightest clue. :confused:

#4 ·
When the error message appears, click on the error message to select, then Right click, select Copy and paste the full error message here please.

In Outlook Express,
Tools > Accounts > Mail tab
Select your (AccountName)
Click Properties
Click on the Server tab

Are your Server settings similar to these?
Incoming mail (POP3): mail.optonline.net
Outgoing mail (SMTP): mail.optonline.net

#5 ·
Very well, let's see if I did this rigThe host 'HTTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'HTTP', Server: 'HTTP', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0Dht...The host 'HTTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'HTTP', Server: 'HTTP', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800The host 'SMTP' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'HTTP', Server: 'SMTP', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0DCCC0D

#6 ·
You did fine, Thank You. :)
Your Server names appear to be missing.

In Outlook Express,
Tools > Accounts > Mail tab
Select your (AccountName)
Click Properties
Click on the Server tab

Are your Server settings similar to these?
Incoming mail (POP3): mail.optonline.net
Outgoing mail (SMTP): mail.optonline.net

Using the figure below as a guideline, insert the server names I posted in blue.
Under Server Information
Yours should say:
My incoming mail server is a POP3 server

Let us know what happens.

#7 ·
I think something is coming to light here, ok, When I go to >mail tab only 1 window w/heading "acct. server" HTTP is the only entry. Clicked on properties > server tab reveals incoming mail POP3> HTTP. outgoing> SMTP, nothing follows these. I changed acct. name to junio_lopez@yahoo because I don't like or use the optonline em acct. I regularly use Yahoo & Hotmail. Is that the reason I have this problem ? :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Yes, the Server information is what Outlook Express uses to contact your mail server.

If you are not using your ISP's mail server then you probably will not need to use Outlook Express.

Is your Yahoo! account a free account?
If so, Yahoo! no longer supports using free POP access with Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook.

You will need to access your Yahoo! account by visiting the Yahoo! site.

If you want POP access you will need to pay for an upgrade to your Yahoo! account.

To upgrade your Yahoo! account to Yahoo! Plus.
http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/help

This link shows how to configure Outlook to use a *Paid* Yahoo! account.
Use Outlook with Yahoo! Mail

Or, you can use YPOPs to download your Yahoo mail into Outlook Express.
Download YPOPs here:
http://yahoopops.sourceforge.net/mo...=Downloads&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=2

These links should get you started in configuring YPOPs and Outlook Express:

YPOPs! and Outlook Express

YPOPs! FAQs (frequently-asked questions)

Having problems with Ypops, Read this Sticky FAQ!!

If you would like, we can start off by first configuring Outlook Express to get messages from your ISP's mail server, then move on to configuring YPOP's if you decide to try it.

Having the e-mail account setup for your ISP would be a good idea as your ISP may send you messages from time to time.
They may be advertisements for reduced rates on your Internet connection, who knows? ;)

#9 ·
Oh, well now. yes I 've a free acct. Yahoo, also at msn Hotmail. I registered 1 w/optonline way back when but as I said, I don't care for it. The only thing that was troubling me was that everytime I attempt to respond to any of the sites e-mail I can't. For ex: Career Builder's job listings. I get that error message in outlook xpress. If necessary I'll do without, not'a problem after all. Thanks very much fella's.

#10 ·
JoeLo said:
The only thing that was troubling me was that everytime I attempt to respond to any of the sites e-mail I can't. For ex: Career Builder's job listings. I get that error message in outlook xpress. If necessary I'll do without, not'a problem after all. Thanks very much fella's.
Yes, you will get an error since your system does not have a properly configured messaging program.
If you configure the optonline account in Outlook Express, then a new message window would pop up.

See if this is an option for you instead of Outlook Express:
How can I make Yahoo! Mail my default email application?

If you have a Gmail account, it can be set up in Outlook Express.
If you don't have a Gmail account and would like one, pm me with your e-mail address and I'll send you an invite.

Look here:
Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab
What options are listed for E-mail: ?

#11 ·
Hey, How r ya? been on vacation, then wrapped up w/some personal biz.
Just been considering your invite pal, I've come across a few using this G-mail
acct. I'm looking to terminate Hotmail anyway, too much junk mail it attracts.
How do I get started, at your prefered time of course. Thank you. ;)

#16 ·
No problem, got an acct. Didn't customize yet or set it to receive from Yahoo or my ISP acct. I like the fact that it has all that storage space. Would like for a dear friend to set one up for herself as she is having so much trouble with hotmail. :up:

#17 ·
Yes, I can say I have not had any problems with Gmail, though it is not my main address.
Outlook Express collects messages from Gmail great. :up:

E-mail me or private message me with her e-mail address and I'll send her an invite if she is interested.

By the way, you should be able to use Private Messaging with the number of posts you have. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.