1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by imbond, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imbond

imbond Thread Starter

Hi, I use microsoft outlook. I want it to stop downloading my emails from Gmail as they take space. I just want to use it for sending messages. When I click on an email on a website, I just want it to be able to send that message using my gmail account. I have the outlook set up but just want to disable incomings.

Any instructions will be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Prabhat
    :cool:

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

This is for Outlook 2003. Other versions should be similar.

Click Tools, point to Send/Receive, point to Send/Receive Settings, click Define Send/Receive Groups... (or just press CTRL+ALT+S, or Tools | Options Mail Setup tab Send/Receive... button)

I don't remember if there is a default group or not. If so it likely has all your accounts in it. If you use Outlook to download from your ISP account, you'll need 1 Group for your ISP account (and any others) and one for the Gmail account.
    Create a group named Gmail and add your Gmail account to the new group. Uncheck all of the boxes for including the Gmail group in Send/Receive, or for doing automatic Send/Receives.

Edit all other groups and remove the Gmail account from the other groups.

You won't be able to use F9 to send, but you can add a Send All button to the tool bar.

Another option, if you do use Outlook for your ISP account, is to set it to use Gmail to send, or create another account with Gmail to send, your ISP to receive, if you need to be able to send from your ISP account on occasion.

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice