1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lukearkola, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukearkola

lukearkola Thread Starter

Running windows 7. Using Outlook from microsoft office professional 2002 version. Outlook wont receive incoming email. Can send emails though. Where do I find the .pst file? I need to uninstall outlook and wish to start again but when I do that all my messages come back. I believe I need to rename pst file so this doesnt happen.

2. gyclone

gyclone

You should use every available method to back up everything in Outlook to a different location, not just the pst file. Outlook message, folder, and contact recovery rarely goes super smoothly. I would use the Export menu to export everything you can, into multiple formats, first. Then, go to Tools -> Options -> Mail Set Up tab -> Data Files (path may be slightly different in your version of Outlook). There, you'll be able to check the location of your pst. By default, it would be in your "Application Data" folder, which is hidden, by default. The easiest way to access this folder is to open the "Run" dialog (hold down your Windows key and hit your "R" key). Type "%AppData%" (without quotes) into the textbox and click "OK". When the Explorer window opens, navigate into the "Microsoft" folder and copy the entire "Outlook" folder to a new location. Note: where ever your data file resides, copy the whole folder, not just the .pst. or whichever format your version of Outlook uses.

However, I wouldn't go through all this trouble if this has been a very recent, very temporary problem. Mail servers frequently go down (there is a strong possibility that your incoming and outgoing mail is processed through different servers) and mail programs, including Outlook, sometimes have some of their settings magically reset. You don't state what, if any, other testing you've done to come to the conclusion that a re-install is in order, so maybe that is the appropriate course of action, but e-mail, especially if you don't keep copies of your messages stored on the server, is one type of program that should be re-installed as a last resort. If you want to post some more information about what has been done so far, who your mail provider is, whether it's POP or IMAP, etc., somebody might be able to help you straighten it out. If the problem has only been going on for an hour or two, I wouldn't even worry about it unless Outlook from that machine is your only available means of getting mail and you are expecting something critical.

3. lukearkola

lukearkola Thread Starter

Many thanks for the replies. Problem been there for about 3 days. Will work my way through info provided and see what happens. Help is much appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice