1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outting a flopp drive on a Fujitsu-Siemens GA-81sxt

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by henthorn, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. henthorn

henthorn Thread Starter

I had a shop build a computer a couple of years ago and was sold a BMW case with what I believe to be a shoddy motherboard. It is a Fujitsu-Siemens GA-81SXT. It has no floppy and now I need to use a floppy to make a set up disc for Partition Magic 8.0.

I have a CD rom and an HP CDWriter in the computer as well as two hard drives. Each pair is on one cable

I bought an old Mitsumi floppy but I don't see any way to get power to it and I am not sure there is an IDE plug in. Is there a cable which would allow me to hook it up to a USB receptacle? or is there another way to do it? I thought about taking out the CD rom and using that IDE cable conectoon for the fluppy drive but I don't know if that will work. I also wonder how I could get power to it since the power plug on the computer doesn't seem to match the one of the floppy.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

3. johnpost

johnpost

floppy drives are not ide, they have their own socket on the
    motherboard. look for a different socket.

you can get power adapters which will convert from
    the power plugs you have to floppy style.

4. henthorn

henthorn Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you. I didn't intend to send that post but when I pressed whatever I pressed the message was sent. I found the documentation for the hard drive and learned that there was a plug for a floppy cable. I noticed that one of the power plugs has a spliced on four pin plug that fits the power receptacle on the floppy drive. I assume that is meant to run the floppy. Will have to move one of the hard drives down in order for that plug to reach the floppy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!