1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Over 7 minutes on Welcome--Help!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tgrover54, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

You guys have been great, I really hope you can help with this issue. I am using a Dell Studio Laptop, running Vista Home Premium 64 bit, SP2 with 4 GB RAM. I am timing 7.5 minutes after the Welcome screen appears, to boot up. I am running Avira Free Antivirus, but have disabled almost everything at startup.

These are the only services from msconfig running at startup:
    Alps pointing device (the touchpad, right?); Dell Wireless (the wireless network adaptor); IDT PC Audio (sound system--do I need this one?); Avira Antivirus (think I'll switch to Trend Micro, it's lighter); FATray Mon (need at startup?).

Following the instructions on a forum, I tried to alter the Boot in msconfig as follows:
    in advanced options, increase the number of processors to 2, and check maximum memory.

I ran an event log, and this is what shows for booting: this event took longer than expected at startup resulting in performance degradation in the startup process--there were several this time:
    Audioendpointbuilder, windefend, intel graphics kernal mode driver, Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, avguard.exe, TrustedInstaller.exe. Also, a critical item:
    BootTsVersion2BootStartTime2011-01-13T22:32:52.718ZBootEndTime2011-01-13T22:42:42.824ZSystemBootInstance139UserBootInstance129BootTime512735MainPathBootTime491735BootKernelInitTime19BootDriverInitTime5043BootDevicesInitTime10334BootPrefetchInitTime51023BootPrefetchBytes675405824BootAutoChkTime0BootSmssInitTime4415BootCriticalServicesInitTime2118BootUserProfileProcessingTime450824BootMachineProfileProcessingTime325BootExplorerInitTime2250BootNumStartupApps3BootPostBootTime21000BootIsRebootAfterInstallfalseBootRootCauseStepImprovementBits0BootRootCauseGradualImprovementBits0BootRootCauseStepDegradationBits0BootRootCauseGradualDegradationBits0BootIsDegradationfalseBootIsStepDegradationfalseBootIsGradualDegradationfalseBootImprovementDelta0BootDegradationDelta0BootIsRootCauseIdentifiedfalse
    Does any of this make sense, and what do you suggest to fix this issue?:eek:

2. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

I have not had an answer, and am starting to see more problems. I tried a memory diagnostic test from safe mode, and it froze on 14% for over half an hour. I finally gave up (even Esc) would not work) and forced it down. Started again, and got a black screen. Took a few minutes away to calm down. Started again, and it seems to be booting to safe mode with networking--but it takes closer to 20 minutes to boot now. I am going to try a system restore to see if that will do anything at all. This is a client's computer. Would you recommend saving files and upgrading to Win 7 for her? Help!

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Insert a Vista DVD and run a startup repair, see if that works ?

Although the machine failing the memory test is also no good. It could thus also be a ram problem.

4. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Need to put a "space" about halfway through the next to last line as to prevent the horizontal scroll and content overlap

Attached Files:

5. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Sorry about that. Here you go:

I ran an event log, and this is what shows for booting: this event took longer than expected at startup resulting in performance degradation in the startup process--there were several this time:
    Audioendpointbuilder, windefend, intel graphics kernal mode driver, Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, avguard.exe, TrustedInstaller.exe.

It also listed a critical item:
    BootTsVersion2BootStartTime2011-01-13T22:32:52.718ZBootEndTime2011-01-13T22:42:42.824Z

SystemBootInstance139UserBootInstance129BootTime512735MainPathBootTime491735
    BootKernelInitTime19BootDriverInitTime5043BootDevicesInitTime10334
    BootPrefetchInitTime51023BootPrefetchBytes675405824
    BootAutoChkTime0BootSmssInitTime4415BootCriticalServicesInitTime2118
    BootUserProfileProcessingTime450824BootMachineProfileProcessingTime325
    BootExplorerInitTime2250BootNumStartupApps3BootPostBootTime21000
    BootIsRebootAfterInstallfalseBootRootCauseStepImprovementBits0
    BootRootCauseGradualImprovementBits0BootRootCauseStepDegradationBits0
    BootRootCauseGradualDegradationBits0BootIsDegradationfalse
    BootIsStepDegradationfalseBootIsGradualDegradationfalse
    BootImprovementDelta0BootDegradationDelta0BootIsRootCauseIdentifiedfalse

I had installed the Vista SP2, but that caused the computer to refuse to boot at all--so I went to System Restore in safe mode (which had only 2 days of options!) and returned to SP1. I went into the BIOS to be sure it was not booting first to the DVD (it wasn't) and found the Diagnostics menu. So, I am running a complete System Diagnostic (apparently will take several hours), specifying "OS will not start"--what the heck--to see what comes up. Any suggestions to bring this around are most appreciated. One thing that was strange--one of the times I tried to boot up (the time it just wouldn't do it even after an hour) it had the funny display look, like it does in safe mode where the graphics card is not engaging. Yet the graphics card says it is working properly. ??????

6. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Hi, guys, I'm in a real pickle now. The machine got more funky yesterday. Now, when I turn it on I get the Dell screen, then a grayed out screen with the Welcome background (but no Welcome word--this was normal); then, instead of the green bar, the Windows logo and the Welcome screen, I get nothing--just a black screen. Help!

7. kenny111111

kenny111111

try removing 1 of your sticks of ram, if that don't work, try the other (after putting one back in),
    also did you try startup repair?

if able backup all important data sounds like something going bad

8. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

I haven't opened up a laptop to remove RAM before. I tried booting to safe mode, and it seemed to work. But I didn't catch the desktop in time, and it went to screensaver. Only the Start button showed, and it was not functional. I ended up having to force shutdown and unplugged it for a while to give it (and myself, after a sleepless night) a rest. I am going to get the Vista CD from my customer to try startup repair, and also try disabling the graphics, sound and network cards to see if any of those is the problem. Instructions on opening up to remove RAM?

9. kenny111111

kenny111111

10. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

You can also test ram on your machine{dell} by booting to f12 then selecting diagnostics.
    If the ram displays any errors ...time for new ram

11. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm going to try again. Will keep you posted. Aghhhhhh

12. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Okay, I ran the memory diagnostic from F12 diagnostics, and it passed all memory tests. So it is not RAM. I was able to get to Startup Repair as I was trying to use F8 but it went to that screen instead. It was not able to automatically repair. The repair showed one failure:

System files integrity check and repair: failed; error code = 0 x 490.

I really want to start this thing to get the data off it. The client would just as soon chuck the computer (what a shame, it's a nice computer but acting so funky), but needs her data. Any ideas? Please?

13. kenny111111

kenny111111

14. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Use the f8 menu to see if you can navigate to the use of a "command prompt"
    If not you will need a windows disk.
    I have not tried doing the command while not booted into windows but its worth a try to see if the command will work

Follow this link and use method 1
    You will be doing this while booted to the recovery environment {f8} or booted to a windows disk...rather than booted into windows as the guide shows.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

If you have damaged windows files it will replace them.

15. tgrover54

tgrover54 Thread Starter

Two questions. Can I save the data from Safe Mode? Will it recognize the USB for an external drive? And the link provided by aka Brett says it is for Windows 7. Will it work for Vista?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice