1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

over billed for downloads help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by convict187, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. convict187

convict187 Thread Starter

hello im not sure if im in the right part but here goes, for the last couple months i've been downloading movies, i dnt go on facebook and other sites like that i dnt really use my labtop for anything else, so i no how much i get charged for the download, my problem is im getting charged too much for downloading plus sometimes i dnt even have to be on any web site and im still getting charged as if im downloading something let say ive got 3gb and all i do is turn on the internet but thats it i'll lose 10mb every 10-20mins, sometimes it will stop after half way if not more ,,, so please tell me if there is something i can do or if something is wrong with my labtop help,

2. valis

valis Moderator

I'm sorry, but we cannot assist in this. This is an issue you will need to take up with your ISP. Sounds like you exceeded your bandwidth cap.

3. valis

valis Moderator

best idea is to stop d/l movies....also may want to run a virus scan depending on where you are d/l them from.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You don't have to be browsing the Internet to be using bandwidth. Programs and services on your computer are constantly accessing the Internet. If you don't want that, simply block all traffic with your firewall, or physically disconnect the Internet.

Run CurrPorts or Tcpview and you'll see everything that's accessing the Internet. Disable programs that are more bandwidth-hungry.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Many torrent programs also run in the background downloading and uploading and uploading can count toward your ISP limit/cap as well.

Are these movies you download from Torrent sites?

6. convict187

convict187 Thread Starter

thank you for trying guys i thought id have to ring my isp. i was downloading through frost wire

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What kind of things or movies are you downloading? Examples?

8. valis

valis Moderator

in addition to Triple6's question, as you know, frostwire is a torrent site.....once we get this resolved, you would be well advised to visit the malware section and check for infection as well.

9. scott1x

scott1x

FrostWire is a peer to peer client, and even if no downloads or seeding is active, there will be network activity maintaining the DHT.

If it is not being used, the easiest way to terminate activity is to completely shut down the program. I use it to share gigabytes of photos and the error checking and restart capability makes it very effective for exchanging very large files.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice