1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Over clocking my AMD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TannerStauss, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TannerStauss

TannerStauss Thread Starter

Anybody have any good safe tips on the best way to over clock my AMD. I especially need to know how to tell how much i CAN over clock it. I have an AMD 64 X2 4200+ @ 2.21 GHz. Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all there is NO safe overclock. Even experienced OCers sometimes fry parts.

If you can afford to replace your hardware, post back and we can attempt to OC your system. Note you will need high quality ram, motherboard, pw supply, etc.

Attempting to OC with low quality parts is an exercise in futility.

3. TannerStauss

Well, as far as my specs look, do you think I could do it?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What type of pw supply do you have? Brand and wattage.

You can attempt to OC just about anything other than a pre-built system. You just need to understand that there is no safe OC. As long as you understand that, then sure you can attempt an OC.

Remember just because someone was able to OC the same 4200 you have to whatever speed does not mean you will be able to do the same thing.

5. TannerStauss

oh, i definitely understand. I am going out of town for a few days. Check back to this in a few days, I will find out my power supply and ram type. Thank you.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

To OC the system. First read your manual and become familiar with your bios settings.

Now enter the bios and first lower the ram to the next lower speed. You either select a speed or a divider. Now find the pci lock and engage it. This way you are not overclocking the pci bus when you raise the fsb setting. This will improve your chances of an OC. Note if you do not have a board with a pci lock, you OC will be pretty small since you will be OCing the pci bus as well. This leads to data corruption, etc.

Once that is done, up the fsb [front side bus] from stock of 200 to something like 215. Save settings and exit. Now run a stability app like prime95 for single core or prime2004 for dual cores. It must be prime stable or it is not a stable OC. If there are no errors after at least 15min, restart and again up the fsb to something like 225 or so. Repeat the stability test. Once you go above a fsb of 225 or so, you will need to lower the HT [hyper transport] multiplier from 5 to 4. The idea here is to keep the HT bus as close to 1000 as possible. Continue to up the fsb until you find where you get an error in prime2004. When you do get an error, you now have a choice; backoff to a known stable OC or if you are brave, up the vcore [cpu core voltage] Only up the vcore by the smallest amount the bios allows. Repeat the test. If it is still unstable, you can again up the vcore however not more than twice. Note to find out if it is the ram or cpu causing the error, again lower the ram speed and repeat. If the errors continue, it is the cpu OC causing the problem. If you do not get errors with the lower ram speed, up the vdimm [ram voltage] and return the ram to the previous setting and repeat the stability test.

Note watch your temps; when you up vcore, temps will start to climb.

7. rugrider

rugrider

Just to give you an idea, I have the x2 3800 and run it at 2.5ghz. Depending on what hardware you have and the steppings, you should be able to hit at least 2.4 on air. I use the Thermaltake big typhoon cooler and I have no problems with heat. Good luck

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644120

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice