1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Over-Heat Issue, Please Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pantheon, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pantheon

Pantheon Thread Starter

Ok well, i have a normal ATX Socket 462 mobo with a 2GHz AMD CPU. Heres the story:

I purchased a new PSU because my old one was dieing. (it was a 20 pin, and my mobo uses and 20) so i plugged it in and replaced my old one. When i plugged in the new one, to the wall, i herd a sharp almost High pitched buzzing noise. That never happened with my old one. Oh and my old one was a 300watt and new was 330watt. Well i tried booting with my new one and did not work. So i plugged my old one back in and tried booting. Did not work. So i went to see if the mobo was getting power when booting, so i plugged in CPU fan, in doing so, i literally burned my hand on the heatsink it was that hot. So i unplugged everything and took out the CPU (burned my hand a few times on heatsink, had to run and get an oven mit it was so bad) and let everything cool down. I checked for heat damage on the mobo and i saw nothing, so i tried again with everything cooled down. Still, about 5-10 seconds of being on or booting, and shutdown.

So, do i need another CPU ( i have one), or is the mobo shot to hell? I kinda wanna know what i should do before trying my other (exact match) CPU and bruning out both.

Please help, i am a computer tech but i have never delt with over-heat cases. Please help!:confused:

Pantheon

2. Pantheon

Pantheon Thread Starter

if you need any other info just ask. i thought i put the most needed info in, but if i missed something, just ask.

3. cornman

cornman

Is this a joke? You had the computer on with the cpu fan unplugged and fried the cpu because of it. Of course it will get hot without the fan blowing on it, they don't just put a fan on it to make it look pretty, its there for a reason.

4. Pantheon

Pantheon Thread Starter

I worded it wrong, i had the fan plugged in until i put the new PSU in. I just forgot to plug it back in. And it was only on for 5 minutes until it shut down with ol done back in. so i know for a fact that even if the fan was plugged in during those 5 minutes, it still would not have worked

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Consider that there maybe donwstream damage as well, not just the CPU. Overheating is measured in seconds...

If the CPU has damaged the PSU, then many downstram components (motherboard, HDD etc) can be damaged.

6. cornman

cornman

5 minutes is way too long to have the cpu fan unplugged with the computer on, and obviously power is getting to the cpu or it would not have gotten hot.

7. Pantheon

Pantheon Thread Starter

Ok here is the problem

I used 5 minutes as an estimate. It was probably more like 1 min. 30 secs. Now, i just put a new CPU in and i did the same thing. BUT with out the CPU it runs past 3 minutes ( i shut it off after 3 minutes to prevent any damage)

There, now I know waht i am talking about and i feel like i want to strangle someone if i don't get an answer.

i need coffee.....:mad:

8. cornman

cornman

What do you mean without the CPU?

9. Pantheon

Pantheon Thread Starter

I had pushed the power button with out the CPU in there, to see if it was CPU or mobo. And yes i had the CPU in there before booting without. I only booted without the CPU once.

10. Pantheon

Pantheon Thread Starter

Still have not found a solution. Need help!

11. steven1350

steven1350

sigh..........the motherboard isnt very functional without a cpu. other then turn on the fans, dont expect anything to happen

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice