1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Over-Heating resets my computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brent4, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brent4

Brent4 Thread Starter

A few months ago I bought a new video card (nVidia GF 4200). Since that time I've had problems with my computer reseting due to over-heating when I run 3D graphical applications. As a temporary solution I removed the side panel of my tower and am using a fan to blow fresh air directly at the video card.

I'm not overclocking the cpu or the video card as far as I know. Is there a way I can prevent my computer from resetting all the time, perhaps by raising the temperature tolerance of the computer, without using a fan to keep it cool?

Thanks.

Brent

2. Aaron.W

Aaron.W

Are there any places in your tower for optional fans? Your solution might literally be a snap. ;]

3. rockinmale

rockinmale

If your having a overheating problem. Where you have to remove the cover and put a house fan next to it. The problem has to be the case/tower your using. There must not be enough air flow into and out of the case. In order to get good ventilation you should have a case fan on the lower front of the tower as well as the back wall of the tower.

here's a pic of the wrong and right ways for case cooling.....

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/airflow.gif

Give us some details on the case fan locations inside the case. If you have no fans installed besides the cpu and power supply. I would recommend that you need to install case fans inside this case. If their are no places a fan can be installed. It might be a time to upgrade to a new case. All the new cases out today have plenty of places to place case fans to keep your in case temps low.

I hope this helps......
    good luck
    rockinmale:cool:

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

Some cases are not well designed for air-cooling, so they form heat traps...

RUnning a box without a cover can also cause over-heating as the cool air is not forced in.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!