1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Over heating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Noah456, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Noah456

Noah456 Thread Starter

I have a 17" Compaq laptop with Windows Vista. After it is on for about 10 or 15 minutes it gets very hot on the bottom and then stops working. If I let it cool down it will work again but then heats up again and stops working. Is this something that can be fixed or should I just get a new computer? Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thank you.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Welcome to Tech Guy forums!
    Might be solvable - sometimes there is a blockage at the fan outlet on the inside of the case, where you cannot see it- dust builds up along the fins of the exhaust area, and dust can clog a fan as well. The usual problem heat buildup causes is chip damage, and a burned out video chip or other parts of the chipset on the motherboard result in a non-booting or partially booting, no display laptop quite often. Some online repair places claim to solder on new chips....I stay completely away from these folks, a replacement motherboard is far better and not that expensive. You may wish to have someone experienced replace the board or fan etc, or clean things up, but this is not all that difficult....there are some things to watch out for when taking your laptop apart, and it isn't everybody's cup of tea.
    One other thing to do, is to take the laptop down to get to the CPU and heatsink and re-apply thermal compound as this material often dries out and becomes inefficient over time especially in laptops noted for cooling issues and there are a lot of models that are prone to failure.

You'd know if the fan died, as you will not hear it spin up when you start the machine.....or when you are doing something intensive....

There are user guides to show you what to do but YouTube videos are the best way to go about it. You could also find a broken, discarded laptop or two and practice along with a take-apart video for the models you can find.

Make sure you are watching a video for a laptop of the same very close sub-family of Compaq and if you give me the exact model information found on the underside I will get you to a video. Look for the model ID and serial number..... post that info found on the label underneath your laptop here in a reply. Thanks!

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Then again, if the laptop came stock with Vista, replacing it might not be too gad an idea as it is several years old now.

4. Byteman

True, probably just a candidate for cleaning and new thermal compound..... see if you can get to the point where someday you want to replace it. It's worth learning about these things, too.

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    and don't use your laptop on top of your bed.
    You may want to try buying also a cooling pad for your laptop.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    good point Bill. The laptop I am posting on is a standy Dell Inspiron 1525 that is more than 8 years old, and came with Vista on it. It is now running Win 7 Pro installed as an upgrade because there are no Win 7 Drivers for it. (yes I do keep a Spare drive in case of HDD Failure).

7. Byteman

I am not getting this part..... you mean the Upgrade didn't mess around with drivers?

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

My older than that Dell runs Win 7 , although I only use it for office work and browsing. I had to search for the drivers for the components rather than the whole machine.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It did not mess with the drivers at all. I tried Doing a clean install of Win 7 then downloading the Vista drivers. They all worked except the wireless Networking Driver. I had made an image of the drive so restored the image, then did an in place upgrade to win7 pro. and all drivers worked so I kept it that way.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145287

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice