1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

over-heating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jenni., Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jenni.

Jenni. Thread Starter

My computer has recently been restarting on occasion and the error comes up as sysdata error. I usually just assume that I was running too many programmes and the virtual memory had had enough, but a couple of times my computer has just switched off entirely not to be switched back on until left for a while, turned off at the socket, the back and then turned on. It does feel very hot and so it seems like a safety fuse has blown or something. I opened it up just now for a look and it was scarily dusty, one of the fans was disgustingly thick with dust and I tried to get the large chunks out. I was just wondering if this seems like a safe conclusion and what the best way would be to give the innards a dusting as I worry I may damage something just running a duster over what I can.

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Yep. Sounds like the fans got clogged and the system is overheating.

Get a can or two of compressed air and start blowing all that dust and dirt out of there. Make sure the fans are all cleaned out as much as possible. (Case, CPU, and power supply)

If they're really bad, you may need to replace some of the fans. Are they making any weird noises?

3. obvious

obvious

or just get yourself a nice set of coolers instead. may cost more, but overclocking will be better. watercooling is an option too, as there are no fans to worry about (unless you rigged up the radiator with some) but that would be a bit extreme imo.

is this a gaming pc? or is it generally used for work? and if so, what kind of work?

4. barfly

barfly

A 1/2" paintbrush will get into all the nooks and crannies better than a duster.

5. obvious

obvious

NO DONT USE A DUSTER OR BRUSH!!!!!!!! a pc can hold current for a long time, and could give you a nasty shock. use a can of compressed air. can be pricey, but i swear by it.

6. Jenni.

Jenni. Thread Starter

Hmm I already got some chunks out with a duster... good job I didn't get a shock. It's gotten quite noisy, I hadn't really thought about it til now. I haven't had any problems since I noticed the dusty state it was in and gave it quick spring clean. Where might one purchase compressed air? You can get some in boots but that costs £12 or something silly because it's an overpriced gimmick. I keep the hard drive under my desk... an area that doesn't tend to get hoovered as regularly as the rest of my floor.

As to what kind of pc it is, it's a teenagers pc... and therefore though supposedly for all that hard work I do at school, it's mainly used for homework, nothing more exciting than windows software, the internet, some games, tv, dvds and generally storing lots of pictures and mp3s.

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Compressed air should be available at any large chain store such as wal-mart, or at a office supply store.

you need to make sure, when your blowing out the dust, that you are not blowing the dust deeper into the power supply. Many times people have tried to clean the dust out of a PC power supply and have instead deposited a layer of dust deep inside the power supply where it acts like a blanket holding heat in the capacitors, next thing you know, the power supply blows.. Make sure you blow the dust out, not in.

Another thing, the noise probably isn't caused by the dust.. It's probably because a fan is about to fail. You should replace any noisy fans..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice