1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Over-the-top install bad?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by maracles, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maracles

maracles Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm looking to buy Vista this week and have just been checking out the features. In regards to installing an upgrade version (from xp to premium) it seems there are two installation paths - Clean install and over-the-top install.

I know a clean install is best practice, however is there any clear benefits to doing it. I have had to do several clean installs with xp recently and it has been very time-consuming. Also with an over-the-top install will all programs and files be in exactly the same place?

Thanks for any help.

2. gurutech

gurutech

A clean install will prevent any software incompatibilities with any current applications you are running now (such as anti-virus, etc) and your XP drivers.

A "over the top" install will run quicker, but you may run into problems with existing software applications and/or drivers.

I have done a Vista (Beta) install both ways. I find they both take around the same amount of time to install (overnight, practically :-( ) I did have some application issues on the over the top install, and some "lack of drivers" issues on the clean install, but once I got on the internet, I was able to download drivers from the mfgr's website.

3. TechB

TechB

I've had very different experiences from gurutech. Updates from XP to Vista can take many hours. I've seen it take five hours on a fairly fast pc. Conversely a clean install is usually around 1 1/2 hours sometimes less.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

My advice is to NEVER do an upgrade.
    As has already been said, a clean install is relatively quick, and as long as you save all your data first, it is the way to go.
    Yes it is a pain as you have to re-install all your applications, but a little time now will save a hell of hassle later.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice