Overactive A Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mogig

Hi, My A drive at random times starts and runs for a few seconds, any ideas what causes this? Thanks,
Mo:confused:

Hi Mo... a shot in the dark here.... something is trying to read or write to your A drive...I think maybe it would be a need to run an updated virus scan & Ad-aware for spyware.

I am assuming you have not already.

Savvy :)

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Take a look at start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok....go to the startup tab......look for a reference to Microsoft fast find and unselect it.

mogig

Hi, I run a virus scan everyday(Norton2002 w/all updates). Also run Ad aware everyday. Can't find anything pertaining to Microsoft Fasr Find in the startup menu. Some day's the A drive will run at times and some day's is wont, hasn't today that i'm aware of anyway. It's not really a hinderance but it should'nt do that.
Mo

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Alrighty then, can you post a listing of your start-up 'stuff' ----

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to software environment, startup programs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

mogig

Hi, Here it is.

PowerReg SchedulerV2 Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe
BlackICE Utility Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Network ICE\BlackICE\blackice.exe" -closed
Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
Norton System Doctor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE" /STARTUP
AIM Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
Yahoo! Pager Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
Weather Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\AWS\WEATHERBUG\WEATHER.EXE 1
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
LexStart Registry (Machine Run) Lexstart.exe
LexmarkPrinTray Registry (Machine Run) PrinTray.exe
NPROTECT Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
Iomega Startup Options Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Iomega\Common\ImgStart.exe
Iomega Drive Icons Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
Tweak UI Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
RealTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
NAV Agent Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
LoadBlackD Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Network ICE\BlackICE\blackd.exe
NPROTECT Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
CSINJECT.EXE Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE

I see you have Microsoft Office installed. Do you have Find Fast installed and running? Check in Control Panel for Find Fast. If there you can turn it off by first deleting any tasks and then use the File>Close and Stop option. Find Fast is almost useless and trys to access all drives every so often to make sure there is nothing new it need to index. It basically keeps the index so recently accessed documents can be retrieved faster. I have also seen posts where A drive access was due to some setting in Norton Utilities program. I dont have Norton, and i cannot remember the exact details but if the above does not apply to you, check the Setting for something doing a scan of the drives.
There was also a thread about this type of activity due to some program being run in the A drive and the floppy removed before the program was closed. The fix was to put in a floppy, access the content, close it out, and remove the floppy. I guess some program was looking for the floppy to reasure itself.

mogig

Ok, fast find was running, I have turned it off. I will see if that takes care of it. Thanks a bunch everyone.
Mo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online