1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overactive A Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mogig, Dec 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mogig

mogig Thread Starter

Hi, My A drive at random times starts and runs for a few seconds, any ideas what causes this? Thanks,
    Mo:confused:

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Hi Mo... a shot in the dark here.... something is trying to read or write to your A drive...I think maybe it would be a need to run an updated virus scan & Ad-aware for spyware.

I am assuming you have not already.

Savvy :)

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Take a look at start button, run, then type msconfig and hit ok....go to the startup tab......look for a reference to Microsoft fast find and unselect it.

4. mogig

mogig Thread Starter

Hi, I run a virus scan everyday(Norton2002 w/all updates). Also run Ad aware everyday. Can't find anything pertaining to Microsoft Fasr Find in the startup menu. Some day's the A drive will run at times and some day's is wont, hasn't today that i'm aware of anyway. It's not really a hinderance but it should'nt do that.
    Mo

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Alrighty then, can you post a listing of your start-up 'stuff' ----

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to software environment, startup programs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

6. mogig

mogig Thread Starter

Hi, Here it is.

PowerReg SchedulerV2 Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe
    BlackICE Utility Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Network ICE\BlackICE\blackice.exe" -closed
    Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
    Norton System Doctor Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE" /STARTUP
    AIM Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    Yahoo! Pager Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
    Weather Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\AWS\WEATHERBUG\WEATHER.EXE 1
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    LexStart Registry (Machine Run) Lexstart.exe
    LexmarkPrinTray Registry (Machine Run) PrinTray.exe
    NPROTECT Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
    LoadQM Registry (Machine Run) loadqm.exe
    Iomega Startup Options Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Iomega\Common\ImgStart.exe
    Iomega Drive Icons Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    Tweak UI Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
    RealTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    NAV Agent Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVAPW32.EXE
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    LoadBlackD Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Network ICE\BlackICE\blackd.exe
    NPROTECT Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    CSINJECT.EXE Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Norton CleanSweep\CSINJECT.EXE

7. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

I see you have Microsoft Office installed. Do you have Find Fast installed and running? Check in Control Panel for Find Fast. If there you can turn it off by first deleting any tasks and then use the File>Close and Stop option. Find Fast is almost useless and trys to access all drives every so often to make sure there is nothing new it need to index. It basically keeps the index so recently accessed documents can be retrieved faster. I have also seen posts where A drive access was due to some setting in Norton Utilities program. I dont have Norton, and i cannot remember the exact details but if the above does not apply to you, check the Setting for something doing a scan of the drives.
    There was also a thread about this type of activity due to some program being run in the A drive and the floppy removed before the program was closed. The fix was to put in a floppy, access the content, close it out, and remove the floppy. I guess some program was looking for the floppy to reasure itself.

8. mogig

mogig Thread Starter

Ok, fast find was running, I have turned it off. I will see if that takes care of it. Thanks a bunch everyone.
    Mo

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice