1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overactive WiFi Router?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rjmc27, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjmc27

rjmc27 Thread Starter

Admittingly, I know little about networking and WiFi routers.

But I can't help wonder why two lights (labeled Wireless and Ethernet) flash on my Linksys WiFI router when my PC works on a document, searches for a file, or performs other routine functions that don't involve accessing the Internet or LAN.

Is it paranoid to think that information being transmitted despite a firewall and anti-virus software that claims my PC is clean? Or are these router lights flash for reasons other than indicating transmission? Note: they don't flash when the Ethernet cable is disconnected from the PC.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    there will be a number of programs looking on the web, some for updates, you may be downloading updates in the background for adobe, windows updates, Updates for your particular machine etc - so could be a number of legitimate reasons your PC is still using the internet.
    The fact it all stops when you remove your PC cable from the router, proves its your machine and noone else is using the router.

Strange the wireless stops - do you have wireless on your PC also connected ?
    make and model of the router

3. rjmc27

rjmc27 Thread Starter

No wireless used on the PC. The router is a Linksys WRTU54G-TM. And even if the firewall is set to "block all", the lights still blink. Thanks.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you should be able to log into that router and see all the device currently attached to the router - check and make sure you recognise them all
    If you are NOT using wireless loginto the router and switch the wireless OFF

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice