1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Overclock a PS2?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HexStar, Sep 21, 2003.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HexStar

HexStar Guest Thread Starter

I was wondering, is it possible to overclock a PS2? If so, how do you do it?

2. McTimson

McTimson

It's *probably* possible to do it, I mean, you can even overclock graphing calculators, but I doubt that it's worth the risk...I mean, it wouldn't be like overclocking a computer, where you just change some BIOS settings, you would have to actually open up the PS2 and solder some new stuff in...but one wrong move could render the whole thing useless.

3. zeddy

zeddy

If you buy a PS2 you are buying a machine that is purpose built, with games that are built on its specs (not 10% "faster"). If you are interested in o/c'ing get a PC!

4. McTimson

McTimson

Yea, if you were to overclock it, it would probably mess up some games, they would run too fast, and they'd probably produce all sorts of errors...

5. HexStar

True, but I think it would be fun to try just for the heck of it. Anyone know how?

6. Rockn

Rockn

You must be made of money....$500 iPod, overclock a $200 PS2

You can't...the multipliers are locked. Try the mod chip installation insted, far more challenging.

7. McTimson

McTimson

For an even better challenge, why not try to overclock that iPod...

8. Rockn

Rockn

Put a bigger hard drive in it....or an external interface for a hard drive.

9. McTimson

McTimson

Put a color LCD monitor in, and a new video card, and get it to run some new game, all in the current size that it is now...now that would be an accomplishment.

10. HexStar

Well, making it run a new game wouldn't be hard if 1 I knew what language the OS was made in, 2 could program in that language, and 3 could somehow upload the game onto the iPods HD. A new LCD monitor wouldn't be hard if I could spare to possibly lose an iPod since all you'd probably have to do is open the iPod unscrew and disconnect the LCD screen and replace it with the same model or compatible color LCD screen w/backlight. Now I'll pay someone $400 if they can replace an iPods current lcd screen with a color one.:)

11. McTimson

McTimson

...A new game, like something that requires a graphics card...heck, let's say Half-Life 2. In order to do that, you'd also have to include a graphics card of some sort...so if you can figure out a way to get a GPU into there, then you're set.

What you could do is install linux on it, I know that can be done, then install WineX, and then the game. Done and done. Easy as said.

12. HexStar

Well, not nesicarrily. I think the processor would die with such a heavy load lol. Maby if it was possible to install a new mobile processor into the iPod then it would be possible to do.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice