1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocked CPU too high, Post REALLY slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by savar, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. savar

savar Thread Starter

Ok. So I was at a friends house and decided to overclock his quad core. He has liquid cooling so the cooling is well over sufficient to deal with the excess heat. I over clock the FSB to 1200 and started it up. Worked fine, still ran at 38c idle. I went upstairs and he decided to overclock it to 1400 on the fsb. Ever since then, his POST has run incredibly slow and hasnt even got to the windows screen. It fully loads all of the Post but it takes about 5 minutes and that's as far as it gets. I got the processor back down to it's defaults and yet it continues to do the same thing. Is the processor damaged or is there some way to fix it?

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Hello Savar,

Sounds like you fried something on the motherboard by overclocking it. If it doesn't work with BIOS set at safe defaults then I'd guess the motherboard is damaged. This should be a lesson to you.

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

This is actually a more frequent problem than appears. You will need to reset the BIOS completewly, then go back in and reset all the options re booting , but no clocking. after that you should find its ok. Not sure why they do it, but it happens every time if I managed to clock a bit too far, even if i drop it back down :)

4. dineshsmhdr

dineshsmhdr

hi
    make sure that the hard drive jumper settings are set to cable select.
    and also check in BIOS settings.
    u can updates system BIOS
    Clear NVRAM(press ALT E in BIOS page)
    clear CMOS
    LOAD defaluts in BIOS
    INspect cables
    Clean out the system of dust (CPU heatsink, northbridge/southbridge and video card and hard drives, etc)

5. savar

savar Thread Starter

It's a brand new pc. It was working GREAT until it was overclocked to 1400. It messed something up in the bios, I'm sure of it. When it tried to load windows, it brings up the windows icon and then blue screens. It says that there is a problem with the bios right on the screen. I also doubt there is anything fried.

Gulo Luseus: I have cleared the cmos with the jumper and the battery, loaded defaults, checked everything, yet it still doesnt run like it should. Also, I was tried flashing the bios with a CD (the 790i ultra doesnt have a floppy drive port) and it loads all the way up until it's about ready to program, but continues to look for the A drive it seems. It never actually programs.

6. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Whick mobo do you have? There seem to be several that fit the criteria, and I cant find one without a floppy connector :)

7. dineshsmhdr

dineshsmhdr

what is the blue screen error u are getting on the screen..?

8. savar

savar Thread Starter

Its an EVGA 790i ultra. As for the blue screen, it says that the Bios is invalid or something and said it needed to be updated or flashed. I can't remember exactly. It's my friends computer, just trying to get it fixed for em.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice