1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking a gforce 6200 pci card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brian8474, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brian8474

brian8474 Thread Starter

Is it possible to overclock this card? If so how.And what gains would i get from it? ThAnks in advance, Brian

2. Jones

Jones

It is possible, and very easy.
    Download NVTweak here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/NVTweak_Formerly_Coolbits_d4375.html
    and install.

Then, open up your nVidia card properties, and you should see a tab for clock frequency settings. Set it to 'Manual Overclocking' and then play with the sliders. Increase one at a time, a little bit at a time, and test it in your favourite games. Keep going until you find a nice balance between stability and performance.

How much you can overclock depends entirely on your system. Everyone gets different results. For example, I've overclocked my FX5200 to 326 core speed and 456 mem speed, which is a significant boost, and it didn't cost me a dime. I'd be interested to know how yours turns out, so post your results. :)

3. brian8474

brian8474 Thread Starter

I dont see a tab for clock frequency settings?

4. Jones

Jones

Right click on your desktop, and select 'Properties', then click the 'Settings' tab, and click the 'advanced' button to open up the nVidia options pallette. The clock frequency options are in there.

5. brian8474

brian8474 Thread Starter

I still can't find it I am using driver 84.21 which one are you using?

6. brian8474

brian8474 Thread Starter

I found it now! I will let you know how it goes..Thanks

7. Jones

Jones

Good luck! And remember, small increases, then test. If it crashes or freezes, you've gone too far! ;)

Don't worry if it does crash though, it'll go back to lower settings when you restart.

When you find the levels that work well, make sure you check the option to 'Apply settings on Startup' to have your overclock always on, otherwise, you'll need to go in and apply it each time you want it. Having it always on won't hurt it, since it only works as hard as it needs to, and regular Windows stuff doesn't stress a video card very much.

8. brian8474

brian8474 Thread Starter

well it froze everytime i changed it..So i guess i wont overclock.I am satisfied with the card .But i always want more:) my core was already set at 350 and memory at 400 stock.Thanks for the help.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's not a good card to overclock as you found out.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice