1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking a Northwood

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jones, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

Hey all,

I've got my P4 2.6ghz, 800FSB Northwood overclocked to 2.83ghz right now using Asus' built-in overclocking settings, but from what I've read online I can get alot more out of it.

Just wondering if anyone has experience oc'ing these processors, and if so, what are some safe voltages and speeds to start with.

Thanks

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

P4s are usually safe when you raise the fsb, however messing with voltage can induce the SDS; sudden death syndrome in the cpu.

I would not raise the voltage any more than .025 over stock. Actually I would not oc at all, however that is me.

In any case raise the fsb in small amounts and run prime95 for at least an hour. If it runs error free, up the fsb again and repeat.

Note when you do this, the ram is running faster. You may need to set your ram to the next lowest speed in the bios.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice