Overclocking a XFX GeForce 5500

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MahaGamer

Hello i was just wondering what would be the safest overclock for the FX5500. my current frequencys are 270 core clock and 400 memory clock. what whould be a safe overclock with the stock fan, and what would be safe if i bought a PCI double fan? Your help will be appreciated. my overclocking software is RivaTuner. Thanks!:)

There is no such thing as a "safe" overclock. No one can tell you how high you can go as each card will overclock differently. No 2 CPU's or GPU's will overclock the same. It's all a matter of trial and error and monitoring temperatures while under load.

The fact of the matter is that overclocking video cards in general yields a small increase. Most of the time insignificant as far as real world applications go. Sure a 3d benchmark might show you an increased score from overclocking but chances are you won't notice it playing a game.

If you really want to see a speed boost then upgrade your video card.

MahaGamer

true there is no safe over clock, but are there any temperature monitoring softwar thats free? besides when your 9th grade and unemployed like me you don't have the money to upgrade a video card! thanks for your help, and i'm happy to take more suggestions

Well in order to monitor the temperature on the video card your card would either need a thermal diode already built into the card or you would have to install one yourself(which can be a risky affair to do it right). You could download a utility such as 'Everest' here:http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Once you've downloaded and installed it click on 'computer' then click on 'sensor'. If your card has a temperature monitor then it will show up under 'GPU'.

In my experience, it's just a bad idea to overclock a video card. The manufacturers normally have the card close to it's max when you buy it. It's much better just to upgrade the card if you need more speed out of it.

Also, every time I've overclocked a card, the speed increase really wasn't enough to notice. It's not like you'll all of a sudden be able to play that game in 1280X1024, when you could only play it in 800X600 max before overclocking. If you can play it in 800X600 max before overclocking, you'll still only manage 800X600 max after overclocking.

MahaGamer

Yeah well thanks for your help guys. i will overclock as much as i can so the card will burn out so i will be forced to upgrade!:rolleyes: (hopefuly my dad will pay!)

lol... now thats a reason to overclock, I tell ya!

But..... what happens if dad says no? :eek:

-Gonz

MahaGamer

Here's the stuff... i overclocked today using ForceWare and got from 270/400 up to 290/443. I have no clue why but when i tried out some games they didn't run better, but mouse lag was like totally gone. i have Delta Force Black Hawk Down and i never played it because i could play it ed at 1024x768 but there was tons of lag so i had to down and play at 800x600. but since the Overclocking i can play seamlessly at 1024x768 with the graphics ed all the way up(with no mouse lag). Thanks for your help guys. Catch ya later.(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online