Overclocking Advice

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jack-o-bytes

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a new set up for my computer which consists of these parts.

Motherboard - Shop or Foxconn Website
RAM - Shop (I know this may be my downfall along with my motherboard)
CPU - Shop

I already have got it running at 3.1Ghz with a voltage of 1.4v. I know that sounds fairly high but it is only running at 25c idle and about 58c full load so I think it is safe at the moment.

I am looking for advice on how I could push this chip further using what I have and what you thing the sensible limit is for the hardware that I have. I do have options to change RAM, Northbridge and CPU voltages if necessary.

Thanking in advance, Jack-O-Bytes

crjdriver

Your link for the cpu was to an oem type chip. What type of hsf did you install?

Next have you read the guide at the top of the forum for overclocking?

jack-o-bytes

I installed a standard AMD heatsink from the 2.6Ghz model but at the moment with a 3.1Ghz overclock and 1.4v it is running at 25c idle and about 60c load. Do you think I will be able to get away with lower the voltage to standard 1.35v and still being able to keep 3.1Ghz

crjdriver

No one can tell you; you must run a stability test and find out. This is why I always recommend using something like prime95 to test stability.

Remember if your overclock is not prime95 stable, it is NOT a stable overclock.

Right now I have my amd 940 overclocked to 3.4gig and I use standard voltage. No problems at all passing prime95.

Another stability app is OCCT or you can use amd overdrive to test the system. In any case, you must test to make sure the OC is stable.

jack-o-bytes

Well I think I am going to try and drop the voltage down to 1.35v to help keep it cooler and then do another Prime95 run.

jack-o-bytes

Well, It seems that when I turn the voltage back down to the standard voltage it still runs it at 1.4v any way.

So I tested it with 1.4v @ 3.1Ghz on prime95 for 10 minutes and it reached 59c with no signs of going higher. When I stopped it, it said 0 errors 0 warnings. Should I leave it at that or do you think another 100Mhz will be OK?

crjdriver

I would up the fsb until I get errors in prime95 then back-off to a known stable OC. You may be able to push your cpu/ram to 3.3 or even higher. You do not know until you make the attempt. As long as you do not adjust vcore [cpu voltage above the normal, there is not that much chance of damage to the system.

Do remember ALL overclocking entails some degree of risk.

2hrs is the bare minimum to verify if you have a safe overclock, and even then I'd be loath to trust the result...

jack-o-bytes

yeah ok. I will leave the Prime95 on for a couple of hours. Raising the FSB and not the voltage still means it will get hotter right?

crjdriver

It may get slightly hotter. Here is what I do when trying to determine an overclock setting.
1 After setting fsb in the bios, restart and boot into windows
2 Load temp monitoring software like HWMonitor or whatever you use. Load prime95
3 Run prime95 for at least 20min. If it runs without errors and temps stay within limits, then restart and enter the bios. Up the fsb again. I keep doing this until I get an error on one of the cores. [Usually one core will error out before the other three]
4 Once I receive an error, I restart and again enter the bios. Set it back to your last error free setting; save settings and restart. Now again run p95 and this time let it run for 1hr. If it has no errors and temps are OK, I would call that a stable OC.

crjdriver

One other thing. It is great that the system is prime95 stable however I like to run a few games and test with them as well. If your system runs the games you normally play without problems and it was prime95 stable, you have a stable OC.

Do remember as parts age, what was stable a year ago may not be stable now. MB components age as does your pw supply, etc.

jack-o-bytes

OK thanks. I will try some more seriouse overclocking tommorow throughout the day when I have time to keep restarting it. :)

jack-o-bytes

Hello again.

I tried to boost it a little more up to 3.17Ghz but when I ran prime95 I got 100 warnings on the 2nd core. Is this something that could be solved by putting the voltage up. Also do you think if I am going to start raising voltages I should get my self a better cooler?

Thanks for all the advice so far,

Jack-O-Bytes

crjdriver

Usually yes you can prevent the errors by upping vcore. I would not go much above 1.4~1.45V or so.

I would think about getting one of these Arctic Freezer hsf I have one and it keeps my overclocked 940 running at 55C or less under 100% load.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online