1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Overclocking AMD 2500 Barton.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by howieforbes, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. howieforbes

howieforbes Thread Starter

I am using AMD 2500 barton 333Mhz cpu chip on a biostar m7ncd motherboard. I have 256Mb pc3200 ddr memory that can handle 400MHz. I tried setting the clock at 200Mhz and yep she wouldnt post. Cleared the CMOS and reset to 166MHZ clock and everything is fine. The motherboard is a cheap one I know. Hey I got a good deal on the barebones kit. Does anyone know how to bump this up this thing to 400Mhz. Oh when I tried it all it did was a long beep about once every second or two.

2. McTimson

McTimson

You should go somewhere like www.overclockers.com and check out their forums, to elarn more about overclocking, and how to do it, and what you can reasonably expect. Try raising the FSB a few mhz at a time first, don't go all the way to 200. Usually when you overclock, you raise it a few mhz, and if it works OK, go back and raise it again, until it doesn't work, and then you raise the CPU voltage....then you go back, raise the FSB, and keep doing this until raising the voltage no longer helps...but you don't want to get too high with the voltage, because too much isn't good for the processor. You also want to make sure you're checking your temperatures, to see if your heatsink can handle it, but just take small steps, not huge leaps.

3. mobo

mobo

FwIw..I seem to be only able to get mine to 185 before I see any unstability but as you say others have reported te get them up to 200.

4. McTimson

McTimson

They can go much higher than 200, people have gotten them up to 250+, you just need to supply enough voltage to it. Once it starts to get unstable, you add voltage.

5. mobo

mobo

I assume you are referring to the core voltage ?

6. McTimson

McTimson

Yup, the core voltage.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

In order to get to 200 fsb [or higher], lower the multiplier and up the bus to 200. Reboot; raise multiplier slowly rebooting each time. Test the computer by running something like prime95. When it shows some instability, then raise core voltage. As you have stated Biostar is not a top line mgf; you may not be able to get a very high overclock.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do make sure your cooling is up to the task. Both raising the multiplier and the voltage will result in higher temps.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice